Thread: Load profiling and data logging

Thanks

Load profiling and data logging

Just wondered what test devices people are using for obtaining a basic load profile for sizing of inverters/batteries etc for back-up power.

I have a 20+ year old Chauvin Arnoux Power Quality Analyzer that I use but it's got many limitations and it was made before smartphones were a thing so obviously no app integration. It was designed as a power quality troubleshooting instrument, a role which it does admirably but whilst it will log data it only has 16 mb of onboard memory where it dumps a csv file. I then use that file to do manual graphing of voltage, current, power factor and energy usage in Excel which is a bit clunky to say the least.

In recent years I've shifted from using it almost exclusively for fault finding to using it as a simple power logger and I've decided that it's time to invest in something more suitable for this application.

There's a few requirements I would have for this type of device;

Portable
    3-phase and neutral
    Flexible (rogowski type) clamps for easy installation
    Recognised brand name with aftersales support and able to be calibrated
    Can capture voltage, current, power factor, energy usage etc and also start and inrush currents for at least 7 days unattended.
    Free to use software and NOT cloud-only based.

I'd be interested to know what people are generally using or if you've got any recommendations.

Thanks
    Good day Andy --- not exactly to your specs, but.... see this Simple, Cheap and Effective and SECURE setup. Difficult to steal as you mount and hardwire it into the db under test, unlike an expensive R60K clamp meter hanging somewhere in a db box - un-attended. CLOUD ONLY - it has good reviews. Mine is on its way.

https://www.takealot.com/iammeter-th...g/PLID91100938

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POWER METER LOGGER DATA CLOUD.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	8887

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have a fluke 435, Metrel PQA and a few other single phase loggers, but I dont leave any of them on site unless I know the place is secure, I have fitted a camera to view the equipment and access to the equipment.

Some would say why dont you just insure the equipment, get a quote to insure the equipment while on site and let me know how that goes Chance are you not going to get any work, when you add the insurance cost.

For domestic installations, you wasting your time, the budget decides the size. Even if you do split the DB, without replacing all the essential socket outlets to Blue or red sockets, chances are you going to get calls for overloads. The gardener plug sin the lawn mower, the maid plug in the vacuum, etc, etc etc. There is always the bill method to work out the average daily power, let me know how that goes, it is just another marketing strategy to make the customer think you know what you are doing.

It makes me think of the thermal scanning industry, going through report created by so called thermographers, who in many case have very little electrical experience, yet after completing a very expensive 3 day level 1 course are sudden qualified to issue report with recommendations on the cause of hot spots. A quick way to make lots of money for very little time, you just blame the cost of the equipment on the high fees
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

4. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (19-Feb-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ACElectric View Post
    Good day Andy --- not exactly to your specs, but.... see this Simple, Cheap and Effective and SECURE setup. Difficult to steal as you mount and hardwire it into the db under test, unlike an expensive R60K clamp meter hanging somewhere in a db box - un-attended. CLOUD ONLY - it has good reviews. Mine is on its way.

https://www.takealot.com/iammeter-th...g/PLID91100938

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POWER METER LOGGER DATA CLOUD.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	8887
    That looks very similar to an Owl type monitor, I have a single phase version of the Owl I bought probably 7 or 8 years ago. They work well but the sample times and granularity is lacking for proper load prifiling.

I also have an Emporia monitor with 16x current sensors, I only ever used it once. I bought it on an Amazon deal because it was so cheap it would have been rude not to, I think I paid about 2 grand for it. Similar to the Owl they have a lot of limitations.

I'm also very wary of devices that are only cloud based, as soon as the manufacturer goes out of business or when the mood takes them the cloud servers disappear and the device becomes a useless brick.