Thread: Same conduit for plug and stove

Thanks

Same conduit for plug and stove

Hi

I am redoing the kitchen and installing new plugs. Is it allowed to have the oven's neutral, live and earth wire running through the same conduit as another plug socket that is right next to the isolator switch? The plug will obviously have its own live and neutral but share the same earth wire as the stove.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    What size stove circuit ?

It is not good practice and you will be pulling 2 circuits through one box either the plug or stove isolator and would need to label accordingly

Sharing the earths is not a good idea as , rather have separate complete circuits.

Thanks
    It's an electric oven with a gas Hob. No electric stove. I don't have the oven specs on me at the moment but I don't see it drawing more than 16 amps (if not much less). On either side of the isolator is a plug socket. To avoid chasing 2 additonals channels for each plug I thought I could just run a twin earth cable through the same conduit. The plugs will be fed via twin earth cable directly from the plugs breaker. Oven will be fed with loose live, neutral and earth from the 'stove' breaker/isolator. There is enough space in the conduit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlb View Post
    It's an electric oven with a gas Hob. No electric stove. I don't have the oven specs on me at the moment but I don't see it drawing more than 16 amps (if not much less). On either side of the isolator is a plug socket. To avoid chasing 2 additonals channels for each plug I thought I could just run a twin earth cable through the same conduit. The plugs will be fed via twin earth cable directly from the plugs breaker. Oven will be fed with loose live, neutral and earth from the 'stove' breaker/isolator. There is enough space in the conduit
    Are you sure there is enough space in the conduit i believe it should not be filled more than 40%

Thanks
    Hi----This is the only calculation approved by the chief inspector to do what you want to do---The 40% is a requirement for cables in wireways.--- See the following regs and tables regarding conduit sizes and wires inside it. It is relatively simple.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable sizes conduit.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	8882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conduit size wires.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	8883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wireway conduit sizes.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	8884

Silver Member
    Thanks
    In the same conduit - Yes - if its big enough

If you have 2 x 6mm GP (L+N for stove) and 3 x 2.5mm (C.P.C. for stove and L+N for socket) + 1.5mm (for socket C.P.C.) you are at 96 (max 90 on C value on 20mm conduit)

I have seen where guys use manufaturers data and calculate CSA of all cables in conduit and and they still have 40% space - don't like it but have seen it to justify why they passed it.

Same earth condutor for 2 circuits - in a new instal - I'd say no.
    In an existing (old) install where your not modifying anyhthing - i believe its a pass (don't like it but....)

If it was already there, I wouldn't make a client rip thier wall apart to change it.