Thread: Do I need a COC after replacing light fittings

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries

Do I need a COC after replacing light fittings

I have received this query via the message feature for submission to this forum:

Good day
    We have recently replaced all the CFL fittings with LED fittings at our factory.
    Do we need to have a CoC after lights were replaced? We replaced fittings only in an existing installation.
    Office lights are a plug-in system, 5 Amp sockets.

Where in the SANS 10142 do I find what is exempt from CoC?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    My opinion is no as it is a replacement, not really a like for like but still.

But with that... Is the installer supposed to then make sure the earth cable is continuous to the DB and of low enough resistance ?

To me personally it is a change for a like for like.

Otherwise the quote to change the lights could become very expensive if the earth continuity is not there or of high resistance.

Same can be said if you change a socket for the new type with USB, you don't issue a CoC as a socket is a socket.

But again please this is my opinion and happy to change my ways if the reasons prove it to be done : )

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I have pasted what I perceive as relevant clauses from Electrical Installation Regulations 2009.

To answer Dave's query - I would say no, a COC does not need to be issued as it is being plugged into a point of outlet and would fall outside of an electrical installation as defined .
    A COC is issued up to point of consumption and where a 5 Amp socket is being used as a point of outlet which is also the point of consumption and no tools are involved in plugging the light fitting in a COC is not needed.

To Answer Dylboy assumption Technically you need to issue a COC if you change a socket as the socket is part of the electrical installation - anything being plugged into the socket would fall outside the electrical installation subject to permanently fixed etc.
    When we queried Chief Inspector on that point , his answer was , if somebody leaves the earth off , or it comes loose when pushing everything back into the box , how are you going to know unless you test the balance of sockets in that circuit.
    SO the regulations are written that you need to provide a COC if you change a socket or light switch hence the term in point of outlet " without the use of tools "

"electrical installation" means any machinery, in or on any premises, used for the transmission of electricity from a point of control to a point of consumption anywhere on the premises, including any article forming part of such an electrical installation irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical circuit, but excluding
    (a)
    any machinery of the supplier related to the supply of electricity on the premises;
    (b)
    any machinery which transmits electrical energy in communication, control circuits, television or radio circuits;

"installation work" means(
    a)
    the installation, extension, modification or repair of an electrical installation;
    (b)
    the connection of machinery at the supply terminals of such machinery; or
    (e)
    the inspection, testing and verification of electrical installations for the purpose of issuing a certificate of compliance;

"point of consumption" means any point of outlet or the supply terminals of machinery which is not connected to a point of outlet and which converts electrical energy to another form of energy: Provided that in the case of machinery which has been installed for any specific purpose as a complete unit, the point of consumption shall be the supply terminals which have been provided on the unit of machinery for that purpose;

"point of outlet" means any termination of an electrical installation which has been provided for connecting any electrical machinery without the use of tools;

Issuing of certificate of compliance
    9. (1) No person other than a registered person may issue a certificate of compliance.
    (2) A registered person may issue a certificate of compliance accompanied by the required test report only after having satisfied himself or herself by means of an inspection and test that
    (a)
    a new electrical installation complies with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and was carried out under his or her general control; or
    (b)
    an electrical installation which existed prior to the publication of the current edition of the health and safety standard incorporated into these Regulations in terms of regulation 5(1), complies with the general safety principles of such standard; or
    (c)
    an electrical installation referred to in paragraph (b), to which extensions or alterations have been effected, that
    (i) the existing part of the electrical installation complies with the general safety principles of such standard and is reasonably safe, and
    10 No. 31975 GOVERNMENT GAZETTE, 6 MARCH 2009
    (ii) the extensions or alterations effected comply with the provisions of regulation 5(1) and were carried out under his or her general control.
    (3)
    If at any time prior to the issuing of a certificate of compliance any fault or defect is detected in any part of the electrical installation, the registered person shall refuse to issue such certificate until that fault or defect has been rectified: Provided that if such fault or defect in the opinion of the registered person constitutes an immediate danger to persons in a case where electricity is already supplied, he or she shall forthwith take steps to disconnect the supply to the circuit in which the fault or defect was detected and notify the chief inspector thereof.
    (4)
    Any person who undertakes to do electrical installation work shall ensure that a valid certificate of compliance is issued for that work.
    (5)
    No person may amend a certificate of compliance.
    Disputes

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Office lights are a plug-in system, 5 Amp sockets.
    When I got the question, I was absolutely certain on the plug-in part of the replacement - no COC required. Just make sure you comply with the requirements i.r.o. the luminaires -

6.14.1.4 In a lighting circuit, a luminaire that is in a false ceiling or in a roof space 4 m above the floor where there is no ceiling, or in a floor cavity, or in a wall cavity, or in a similar position, may be fed from a socket-outlet which may be unswitched and not protected by earth leakage protection, provided that the socket-outlet

a) complies with SANS 164-3,
    b) supplies one luminaire only, not exceeding the rating of the socket-outlet,
    c) is accessible for maintenance purposes, and
    d) is within 3 m of the luminaire that it supplies.

Or put another way:
    You can only supply one luminaire per socket outlet, and the luminaire must be within three metres of the socket outlet.
    (Further fine print on the circuit itself applies).

I'm not going to go into the requirements of the circuit itself as that is plainly electrical installation work that must be done under the general control of a "registered person" and requires the issue of a COC.

The replacement of luminaires connected directly into the electrical installation wiring via supply terminals gave me pause for thought though.

The point of consumption will be the supply terminals.
    The disconnection and connection of the luminaire at the supply terminal is electrical installation work.
    Per regulation 9.4 of the Electrical Installation Regulations, electrical installation work requires the issue of a valid COC.
    So it does require the issue of a COC?
    Or have I missed some subtlety here?

OK. We know that regulation 9.4 is not being done proactively and consistently by the electrical contracting industry when it comes to small replacement work tasks. But for a while now I've been saying that legitimate electrical contractors are not doing the industry any favours in failing to do so. If the consumer is used to getting a COC whenever a legitimate contractor does any work, they are far more likely to challenge the handyman folk to produce the COC for the electrical installation work they shouldn't be doing...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I read it as if the 5 amp socket is being used ( 1 per fitting and within 3m as you pointed out ) then you do not need a coc -

If the circuit does not have 5 amp socket and is wired directly then you do need a COC as it is similar to changing a socket outlet - the neutral and earth would need to be tested for integrity especially if it is a 3 phase wiring system which is rarely used but can still exist in older factories. ( As pointed out 9.4 is rarely used but if the client asks the question then Legalities require a COC )

"point of consumption" means any point of outlet

If the 5 amp socket is being used it is similar to the homeowner unplugging his TV and placing a new TV down and plugging back in - Do you have to issue a COC for the TV ?
    or every time you plug a vacuum cleaner in and out

Light fittings are excluded on the COC as long as the fitting is complete and not damaged

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I think we're on the same page - just presenting some of the points a different way