Thread: Fire Risk with Lithium Ion Phosphate Batteries

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Fire Risk with Lithium Ion Phosphate Batteries

I am looking for solid information around the risks of Lithium Ion Phosphate Batteries installed in so called " living areas"

There is an ongoing hype around thermal runaway , dangerous gasses being released etc etc .

A lot of the hype is due to Lithium Ion batteries which have since been replaced with Lithium Ion Phosphate batteries and as far as I am aware only Lithium Ion Phosphate is allowed into SA

You will see that there is always referral to Fire regulations and placement of batteries - If you read the regs it reads something like " The continual narrative that fire regs do not allow batteries in living areas actually asks that the risk is taken into account when placing batteries.

I am attached a Weco test that was sent to me which debunks the thermal run away theory

Does anybody have similar info on different makes of batteries available , not you tube videos that are put on by random people , actual research papers or spec sheets
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I would suggest you speak to the people at Blue Nova batteries. They respond to emails and take answer calls.

There is also Hubble batteries in SA, but I wouldn't waste time trying to contact they still haven't responded to emails sent to them 2 years ago.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    When you say 'Lithium Ion Phosphate batteries' are you interested in both types, LFP and NMC batteries? I think it's going to be difficult to get accurate fire info purely on the batteries themselves because usually they're bundled in a poorly designed appliance such as a power station or UPS with a switchmode charger which is equally if not more likely to start the fire either internally in the switchmode supply itself or due to the charging circuit supplying voltage/current to the batteries which is outside of the safe charging range.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    When you say 'Lithium Ion Phosphate batteries' are you interested in both types, LFP and NMC batteries? I think it's going to be difficult to get accurate fire info purely on the batteries themselves because usually they're bundled in a poorly designed appliance such as a power station or UPS with a switchmode charger which is equally if not more likely to start the fire either internally in the switchmode supply itself or due to the charging circuit supplying voltage/current to the batteries which is outside of the safe charging range.
    Hi Andy

More interested in the standard Lithium Phosphate that are coming in as units for solar installs , like the Weco, Voltra , Hubble , Sunsyk etc as 5kw and 10 kw units

When you start getting to the bigger installs of 200KWH of batteries it becomes different.

What is happening at the moment is on 5 to 20KWH systems the chatter is around , " against regulations " to install unless it is behind a 2 hour fire rated wall which to me is incorrect .
    Problem is insurance industry is starting to bring there own set of rules out including a special fire extinguisher which is also incorrect when you read MSDS on the battery packs coming in.

That is what I want to sort out and to do that I need scientifically proven tests , like the Weco data sheet that is attached further up that debunks thermal run away

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have spoken to engineers and people who understand hazardous locations and all the stuff related to hazards and I am still waiting for an answer. I doubt I will be getting one any time soon.

The battery supplier should have some sort of battery guidelines, it should be their responsivity to provide us with safety sheets and dangers related to their products.

The DOL should have qualified engineers who should verify the data sheets and provide the industry with safe installation guidelines.

As I have said on many forums and groups, best you focus on what the insurance industry requirements, at the end of the day, they have more money and better lawyers than the DOL.

If these batteries are so dangerous why are are they not listed as hazardous and only installed and certified by MIE's ?
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.