Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for work sites

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Insurance for work sites

This is another topic that I a have been pondering on.

Firstly do you even have insurance for your sites where you work and how much cover do you actually need ?

Last I checked I had a million rands worth of cover, but things have changes and the value of the properties where we work have doubled if not tripled.

Chatting to someone the other day, about solar projects, lithium batteries and fires, got me thinking.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Most of our contracts stipulate 10 million contractors all risk including maintenance contracts

There was a story that started with insurance companies not accepting COC's for house sales unless it was accompanied with the contractors all risk policy of a minimal insured value of 10 million

As a contractor you should definitely have it as it also protects you - If a client has a go at you for damage the insurer will assign a assessor and legal team to protect there interests vs you having to pay out for legal services

Thanks
    10 million insurance for a house selling for 1 or 2 seems a bit over the top.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Generally speaking, it would depend on your customer base, if you only do domestic work, once you start doing commercial and industrial work, then you might need a lot more than R10 million. I have worked on projects where our portition of the work is valued at R140 million. In some cases I would look at insurance specific to the project and include the insurance cost in the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    10 million insurance for a house selling for 1 or 2 seems a bit over the top.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    By the way have you looked at the prices of properties in upmarket areas .

Thanks
    Couldn't care what upmarket prices are. If the house sells for 2 mill then insurance for 10 mill is over the top.

You wouldn't take out insurance for a merc if you've got a Volla.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It adds up quickly - House burns down , 2 cars go with it , maybe a boat- household contents , demolition and disposal costs , architect fees , plan submission fees and then accommodation costs for similar while the building gets rebuilt - Then hopefully there is not an injury that requires hospitalization and add a loss of earnings claim along with all the legal fees .

You will be wishing that the insurance policy was in place - Contractors all risk premiums are based on the excess you choose and your turn over.

Let the same scenario play out in a townhouse complex that are close to each other with a bit of wind involved and suddenly there are a couple of extra houses being charged to your account , or worse a block of flats .

Most will say , I do the work myself and it is always right - You know the story , " since you were here " - By the time you prove that it was not your fault the legal fees could be at R 200K whereas insurance would have picked up that tab, suddenly the policy premiums are cheap
    It happens , have seen it and had to listen to the stories , don't fool yourself , speak to a broker

Thanks
    Interesting subject.

I wasn't aware that a coc was a guarantee against fire.

I have always been under the impression that a coc was a declaration that the installation is reasonably safe when used for it's intended purpose.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Seems as if I have been misled.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Interesting subject.

I wasn't aware that a coc was a guarantee against fire.

I have always been under the impression that a coc was a declaration that the installation is reasonably safe when used for it's intended purpose.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Seems as if I have been misled.
    If you do a COC and shortly thereafter there is a fire an investigation by the fire department will take place - If Fire department deem it to have been started by an electrical short you could end up having to defend the accusation of negligence in carrying out your COC inspection and repair .

Thanks
    You cannot believe how much work I've lost in the past.

People contact me for a coc because they don't want their house to burn down.

When I tell them that a coc is not a guarantee that their house won't burn then all of a sudden they don't need the coc anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast