Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ECA registration process

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    What you saying is that if only 10% of our work is elctrical contracting, we still have to join the NBCEI?

IF 10% of my work is in the security company, I have to also join their bargaining council and register, you get where I am going with this.

If I am a gate installer but also do a bit of electrical work, elctrical fencing, have a licensed electrician who is registered with the company but doesnt only do elctrical work, we must register with the NBCEI.

All the aircon companies, solar installers, factories with maintenance electricians or any company registered wit the DOL. Who would have to register, just the staff who do electrical work or the entire company and all their staff ?

Please share the documentation, this could set a cat loose amongst the pigeons. It seems things have changed since I last I spoke to the NBCEI.

Looks like I am going to have sign up with the NBCEI again.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    You are missing the point - If you operate as an Electrical contractor then you have to belong to NBCEI irrespective of whether you want to join ECA or any other organization -

Every Electrical contractor has to be registered at NBCEI , it is gazette as such and no builder or company should be using you as an electrical contractor if you do not belong as you do not comply to the Statutory laws of the country and they cannot employ your services
    In some areas the Department of Labour will not renew your contractors license unless you can show good standing with NBCEI and I assume this will now become standard going forward
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If the majority of work is in one particular industry then belonging to that council will absolve you from joining the 2nd council but there is a fine line and dependent on wage rates and benefits

Aircon contractors either belong to the metal industries council or the majority choose electrical council as minimal rates etc are lower.
    Factories are generally registered with Metal industry bargaining council and so there electricians would fall under that council - They are also not doing electrical contracting work as a business

With regards to security industry - If you belonged to electrical council you would not need to belong to the security bargaining council unless the majority of your work was security

Registering with PSIRA is a compulsory story if you are involved in that industry the same way that Electrical contractors register with DOL
    With PSIRA there are different levels as well that determine what you can do , similar to single phase , installation and master electrician.
    If you have not written and passed certain levels you cannot advise clients on positions of CCTV cameras and sensors - I happen to be aware of it as an electrical consultant was taken to task by an insurance company for not being suitable qualified to advise the client on placement of security cameras- He had to write the exam to make the problem go away .

Almost every industry is regulated to try and stop the scammers which does not always work but like everything in life the only time shit hits the fan is when there is a problem and they have a habit of becoming expensive problems sometimes

3. Thanks given for this post:

Isetech (20-Jan-24)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The way things are going at the moment and what I see happing in months to come, it looks like the majority of our work will be in the electrical and solar industry, so It makes sense to register with the NBCEI.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12