Thread: DC isolator on solar

Platinum Member
    Thanks

DC isolator on solar

No surprise, we all knew this was coming, that the silly "combiner/DC control box" which not only creates a dangerous environment for installers:

1/ Because people dont fit MC 4 connectors where the panel cables enter the box and the fact that there is still power on the so called isolator even when it is switched off. To make the cable from the roof safe, you have to find a ladder, climb on the roof try find the connecters which in most cases is tucked away under the panels and cable tied, make sure you didnt forget the tool to disconnect, only then open the circuit.

2/ The inverters has a DC disconnect on the side of the inverter which breaks all the circuits, by adding more switch gear which means you have now created a higher fire risk with more DC connection ( we all know this is a bad bad idea)

3/ Then there is the surge protection, once again wasting the customers money, creating more connections to install a surge arrester which is already fitted inside the inverter (if you are installing inverters which dont have surge protection, you should consider using better quality inverters)

You wonder why insurance companies in this country are not following, if you have ever tried to claim for anything in SA, you know why they dont bother. You think a COC will be your winning ticket, yeah I am sure you will learn very quickly. I would suggest you verify that yellow piece of paper is actually worth the paper it is printed on. I would be just as concerned that the installer has enough cover for your entire house and not just the installation.

I would suggest you also look at who supplied the equipment, the design engineer, the installer and the person who actually signed the test report/COC.

You might think, its ok because the installer is covered by an association, best you check the cover and read the small print, I am sure it is not a property owner associassion""

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnro..._channel=eFIXX
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes it is not the manufacturer that wants to make a cheap product, it is forced by the competition to do so due to no enforced regulation, or it goes out of business.

So to be competitive, quality suffers.

I used to use a mantra

Competitors make you a better supplier.

However, with lack of enforcement of regulations, what I have noticed is that it has changed to the competitors supply to the price the customer wants to pay. In other words the supply of poor quality products.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za