Thread: At what point do you need to issue a new COC

Platinum Member
    Thanks

At what point do you need to issue a new COC

This should get interesting.

At what point is the original COC no longer valid?

We know that if you sell a house after 2 years a new COC is required.

If I install a solar system on a property, replace the old circuit breakers and modify the wiring on the property for essential and non essential circuits, fit panels on the roof, install and inverter and batteries, at what point is the original COC no longer valid for the property?

This has become a rather interesting challenge, considering the amount of modifications required when installing a solar system, for some it is even more challenging because they connect the entire DB to the inverter even if it is only a 5 kw system.

The way I see it, if you install a 5 kw inverter and connect the entire DB to the inverter and dont separate the circuits, you should then issue a COC for all the circuit which are now effectively essential and part of the inverter, which you installed and should become liable for all the circuits connected to the inverter?
    Last edited by Isetech; 12-Jan-24 at 02:21 PM.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    I disagree. If you do a generator installation that supplies the whole house db, you don't issue a new coc for the house. You only issue a coc for the generator installation.

The same should apply for an inverter.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I do a full inspection and build the cost into the quote. That way I can sleep better knowing the entire site is safe

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hence the question, at what point is the original COC no longer valid and when should a new COC be issued?

IF the original test report and COC is issued for the main DB for example, and you modify the main DB in any way, I would tell you to go fly a kite of you tried to blame me for any code violations related to the main DB.

If for example you only installed a new circuit breaker to feed the inverter, then a supplementary would be added, however, if you start modifying the main DB for essential and non essential sections, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if any code violations were identified.

I am bust doing all the COC's for all the solar installations since we started in 2022, there are lot of challenges that we face as we identify issues, many of which are related to the original COC.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    I disagree. If you do a generator installation that supplies the whole house db, you don't issue a new coc for the house. You only issue a coc for the generator installation.

The same should apply for an inverter.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    (4)
    Where any addition or alteration has been effected to an electrical installation for which a certificate of compliance was previously issued, the user or lessor of such electrical installation shall obtain a certificate of compliance for at least the addition or alteration.

As above in OHSA, if something is added or changed then the minimum requirement is to issue a coc for the additions and changes only.
    No need to issue a coc for the whole installation again.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If you have a test report and COC for the main DB on a property labeled "main DB" - original

A solar installer arrives and shuffles all the breakers to create essential and non essential, add more breakers, change the circuits to suit the new layout and cut into existing circuits and modify them to suit the new layout, add an earth spike, lightning protection, LED indicator lights, rearrange the neutrals, run new circuits from the same "main DB" and issue a supplementary test report and COC labeled "Main DB" for your solar installation and modifications, happy days.

Or better still lets use a more common problem, the main DB is left as original, with 1 additional feed to the inverter, but the rest of the DB is left without any changes. Do you replace the original test report and COC or do you just add the supplementary test report and COC to the original.

Now the customer starts experiencing issues with the electrical installation, so they call someone to check, that person identifies a whole lot of non compliant, how would you determine who is to blame for the code violations?

Now you have an original main DB test report and COC and a supplementary test report and COC for the same main DB, how do you identify who is responsible for the code violations ?

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    (4)
    Where any addition or alteration has been effected to an electrical installation for which a certificate of compliance was previously issued, the user or lessor of such electrical installation shall obtain a certificate of compliance for at least the addition or alteration.

As above in OHSA, if something is added or changed then the minimum requirement is to issue a coc for the additions and changes only.
    No need to issue a coc for the whole installation again.

Thanks
    So what are you suggesting ?
    If you work on the main db then you need to issue a coc for all the sub db's as well ?

Thanks
    Your original question was "at what point is the original coc no longer valid ?"

Let's assume the original was valid in the first place. Ie no mistakes etc.

I would say the only time it is no longer valid is when it has been replaced in totality with a new one. This, in reality, is only necessary when the ownership of the installation changes hands and the original is older than 2 years.

Of course the owner can have an inspection done annually and replace the coc annually if they so wish, however, legally this is not a requirement.

Much the same as present laws in SA regarding vehicles for private use. The roadworthy certificate is always valid until such time that the vehicle changes ownership. A new roadworthy certificate is required for this to happen.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I am busy preparing the documentation for all the solar installations we have completed since 2022, I have managed to get all the original test reports and COC's.

It is has been a huge task, I have considered just contacting one for the R1500 COC issuers, it would save me days if not weeks of work, play the numbers game, nobody really cares about the information on the document, so long as the customer can send a document labelled test report/COC to their insurance, that is all that really matters ???