Thread: CCTV and its challenges

Platinum Member
    Thanks

CCTV and its challenges

You buy a little 4 channel basic kit and install it on your property, thinking no more happy days for criminals, well I have a little surprise for you.

If you think buying a cheap camera kit is going to deter or identify a criminal, I have some bad news for you. I spend a bit of time analyzing CCTV footage after break ins, that people is when you realize why it is so important to design and walk test your system under all conditions.

720/1080P is pretty standard for an entry level system, if you just want to see where the kids or the dogs are on your property, spending R1-5000 on a kit would be an option.

Happy days until you have a situation that you require a little better resolution, to identify the clothes or even better a mug shot, that is when you realize the capabilities of your system.

Little things like optical zoom, MP, frame rates etc.

Like installing pet friendly sensors, they great for the pets, until the cat jumps onto the table or you see a figure crawling along the floor, in the pet friendly zone covered in a plastic bag, with a hodie and layers of very baggy clothing.

Just a note, just because it is the festive season, dont think every closes for Christmas, for some it is the busy season, lots of nice new stuff and relaxed (in some case drunk) customers, making it easy for the pickings
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Like anything, electrical, solar, alarm and even CCTV, the more time you spend designing and planner the better the end result. Its not about the sum of money.

People think that if you spend a little more on a product it will perform better, it might, but generally speaking it will have the capacity to do what is required, but unless a little thought is put in to the design and installation, chances are you gonna end up with Bugatti being used for the school run 2 km away in a built up area with a speed limit of 40 km/hr.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Only been able to get to court once with my cameras and get the bugger lock up for a couple of months
    The rest balaclava and white spray paint , last night
    Week before he crawled , preventing beams etc picking him up and then bliksemed the cameras with a plank , disappeared for an hour and then came back fishing through the windows - Fortunately inside cameras got set off
    Pretty similar scenario the week before that

They are like cockroaches around here at the moment