Thread: Day/night switch for a bulkhead LED

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Day/night switch for a bulkhead LED

I am looking for a day/night switch that fits inside the fitting with with a hole on the side of a fitting.

There is one supplied by most wholesaler, with a notice attached (NOT SUITABLE FOR LED LIGHTS), yet they are sold with led lights

Any suggestions?
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Why not just screw in a day/night es led lamp ?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Because the light fitting is a special bulkhead and doesn't use an ES lampholder

In fact it is a really awesome bulkhead,I have been using for a while now, you can change the colour of the light from w/w-DL-CW.

These things are supper bright and IP 65, so they are ideal for coastal applications.

https://mezlighting.co.za/product/25...ght-cct-white/

Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I am looking for a day/night switch that fits inside the fitting with with a hole on the side of a fitting.

There is one supplied by most wholesaler, with a notice attached (NOT SUITABLE FOR LED LIGHTS), yet they are sold with led lights

Any suggestions?
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Ok. Those Radiant 351(long neck) and 352 (short neck) will work on those fittings even although they are marked " not for led use".

They will not work on a 6W or 9W lamp because of the low current drawn by those lamps

However

I see that bulkhead of yours is 25W so that day/night switch should work fine.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    That's what I thought, so I went to my local wholesaler who sells anything to anyone, installed it and it didnt work. I have a feeling the unit they sold me was faulty, returned it and busy sourcing another one to try it.

I had a look at AC/DC express, they have one which cost more than the light and PEC combined, we will pass on that unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Ok. Those Radiant 351(long neck) and 352 (short neck) will work on those fittings even although they are marked " not for led use".

They will not work on a 6W or 9W lamp because of the low current drawn by those lamps

However

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Tell us more, from my understanding, a day/night switch has a sensor to detect light and a relay for switching on/off.

The relay will be sized according to the max switching load rating, some are rated to 6 amp and others to 16 amps.

Educate me on why an LED cannot be used, because of the driver inrush current?

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post

However