Thread: Insurance claim denied.

Silver Member
    Thanks

Insurance claim denied.

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place.

Made an insurance claim - guys stole tools from my van. On camera you can see them lifting my gate off and sliding it accross and then 12 minutes later they walk out with about R25000 of stuff from my van - can be seen clear as day on the camera.

Insurance company are saying the van wasn't locked (it was) and locks are not damaged. The van is one of those new Suzuki Ecco vans so they are cheapy things and the locks are not great but they insured the van knowing how it came.

Now unless they are window shopping in my van they had over 10 mins to pop the locks.

They say they will pay out half(?!!!) which I just do not accept.

Whats the next step?

Where can i take this?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,682 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know the locks on the Nissan NP200 are absolutely useless. That's why we put in central locking and remove the external key locks. But my experience is there's normally some evidence of damage to the lock when it is forced, even if it is just the lock turning easily with a screwdriver...

Haven't had a close look at the Suzuki Ecco. Might have to one day with the NP200 being discontinued soon.

Here is the link to the ombudsman for short term insurance.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The insurance company has never paid out for any of our claims for tool theft from the van or bakkie, always a story.

I leant my lesson, so here is the solution for bakkies and vans, lockable sliding drawers, wireless door mags and a big ass siren.

Even if they break into the van they have to open the doors to get to the draws, then break the locks, while the siren is screaming.

The UK has a massive problem with tool theft, they have come up with many solutions.

We all stood and watched as a ladder was stolen off the top of a bakkie in front of everyone.

I had a bakkie hijacked for all the equipment on the vehicle , it was well planned, by the time we located the bakkie (within 20 minutes) everything was already stripped off the vehicle, ladders left in the long grass, a couple of meters from the vehicle, the generator buried in a hole and covered with grass. tools in a house close by and not one of the people standing around the vehicle saw anything.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I know the locks on the Nissan NP200 are absolutely useless. That's why we put in central locking and remove the external key locks. But my experience is there's normally some evidence of damage to the lock when it is forced, even if it is just the lock turning easily with a screwdriver...

Haven't had a close look at the Suzuki Ecco. Might have to one day with the NP200 being discontinued soon.

Here is the link to the ombudsman for short term insurance.
    My gripe here is that it is as clear as day on the cameras them entering and leaving, I never added a single item that wasn't stolen (like some do to cover 'excess') and my biggest problem is - they insured that van with the locks that it came with. They knew its a standard Suzuki Ecco with Suzuki locks. I never claimed it super central locking or a fancy alarm - they took teh risk when they quoted me.

We took out extra insurance to cover tools for situations like this.

My house is lit up like a chritmas tree with flood lights over the garage (which light up teh whole square I live in) and motion sensors all around the house for security lights.

The house alarm covers - the house. There was a motion sesnor above there head - if they had gone another meter or 2 to the left it would have gone off.

I'm no criminal but give a coat hanger and 10 minutes I'm pretty sure i could fish my way in to this van (or pretty much any old style locking car) as could most people who use tools on a daily basis. Or maybe they used the old packing tape trick through the rubber seals - i don't know.

What I do know is I have given them over the last 14 years about R45000 a year for my insurance. I'm claiming R22000

Its parked on a well lit drive way covered by cameras - a reasonable deterant to most criminals. They were just very lucky the alarm didn't get them.

The reason for refusal of full payment is they say it was unlocked - If you are stealing tools you go in, you grab and you go out. Not window shop for 10 minutes.

Next time, must i just smash the locks up?

I'll take it up a level as this is an honest claim.

So guys next time some one pops your locks - make sure you smash them up a bit and make sure you add a few bonus items as there is chance they will be dicks about paying out.

Thanks
    From bitter experience you've got to fight them. I've had several run-in's with insurance companies over the decades and I've got to the point where I just hand it to a lawyer if they don't want to pay the full amount. Usually as soon as there's a lawyer involved they pay the full amount long before it gets to court. On the odd accasion it's gone all the way to the courtroom I've always won my full claim amount with legal fees and out of pocket expenses. Also if you took the policy through an insurance broker then cntact him and get him to do the fighting with them.

It's a shame it has to be that way but I get the impression they play a numbers game knowingly that probably 8 out of 10 claimants will cave in and accept some low-ball offer because they don't want the hassles of fighting.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One has to be very careful when buying and arranging insurance.
    I have been fortunate having worked in financial services before, but so many people get caught by unscrupulous sales people.

As an example; if you are over 60 you do not pay an excess, but do you know that you pay an extra premium to make up for that excess?
    Rather opt for an excess payment of R5k or more and lower your monthly premium.

I have recently discovered that my parent's household contents were insured for more than R1million while replacement value was far less.
    The explanation given was that they automatically increase the insured amount by 10% every year. Over 30 years that is 300% !!

Best is to get an expert broker with a good reputation to guide you through all these pitfalls. read the fine print what is covered and what not.
    The most expensive insurance is all risks insurance for jewellery etc. Do you want to insure that?
    Also you can insure your vehicle for replacement value or just the insured value which reduces every year.
    I was pleasantly surprised when I wrote off my 5 year old car some time ago. It had no trade in value but I was paid out the full retail price which allowed me to replace it for cash.

Do your homework and properly review your policy every year to confirm what is covered and what not.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...