Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prostituting one's licence.

Thanks

Prostituting one's licence.

So, I am being approached regularly now to do inspections and issue coc's for pv systems, inverters and batteries that have been installed by unregistered installers.

Up to now I have refused, but I'm having second thoughts. I refuse, but the next man obliges and 1,2,3 the client has their coc.

What does one do ?

We ain't gonna get rid of the unregistered installers. How ?
    They are not DOL registered. They are not members of any organizations. It's a free for all.

I've now decided to do inspections on condition that my inspection fee is paid upfront and then only issue a coc after all defects found have been rectified by the installer to my satisfaction.
    I know it will be prostituting my licence, but at least the installation will be brought up to standard.

What other options do we, as registered contractors have ?

Talk to me.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I am well have been in the same boat, I see it as supporting the Cowboys. However, I do my inspections and tests and there is a 100% chance things need changing.

I now see it as doing a CoC for something that was done years ago, just a regular CoC for example a sale of a house.

It's tough and I know that when I refuse they get someone else who just signs it and takes his money.

It's tough, you know you supporting a cowboy but then when you done it's safe.

For me now it's make sure it's safe for sign off and at the end the client is satisfied and about 90% of the time they call me and refer me not the original installer.

Tough but do what makes you sleep at night.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    By the way the municipality registration starts gaining momentum, and they start disconnecting and fining people, the demand for registered engineers and licence sparkies is going rocket out of proportion.

People are going to be desperate like stage 6 load shedding, then it time for engineers and sparkies to shine, we are going to see hourly rates exceeding R1200 per hour.

Watch carefully, it coming.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    So, I am being approached regularly now to do inspections and issue coc's for pv systems, inverters and batteries that have been installed by unregistered installers.

Up to now I have refused, but I'm having second thoughts. I refuse, but the next man obliges and 1,2,3 the client has their coc.

What does one do ?

We ain't gonna get rid of the unregistered installers. How ?
    They are not DOL registered. They are not members of any organizations. It's a free for all.

I've now decided to do inspections on condition that my inspection fee is paid upfront and then only issue a coc after all defects found have been rectified by the installer to my satisfaction.
    I know it will be prostituting my licence, but at least the installation will be brought up to standard.

What other options do we, as registered contractors have ?

Talk to me.
    We will not do it .

You sign the coc and if something goes wrong it is only your name on a legal paper that is responsible according to the house owner , insurance company and municipality - There will be no other piece of legal paper holding anybody else responsible

Signing off on the system would also mean that you need to check string voltage , amperage and wattage against the specification of the panels and inverter , battery charging currents etc ,
    If you going to sign make sure you are covering the hours needed to do the calculations , negotiate with the municipality and submit registration, explain metering fees and tariffs to the owner and that your contractors all risk policy will handle any blow back

The risks are to big and the profits to small

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Anyone know of an engineer or someone that can teach me / show me how the tarif system works and the registration process and the nuances with it in Gauteng, more so I guess Randburg/ Bryanston area where I can physically meet.

This register thing scares me so so much and I don't know how to even start.

If there is someone I can meet please share with me.

In my apprenticeship years we never did applications and I was never taught about billing such as this TOU and all that. I don't even know what to tell the clients.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    We will not do it .

You sign the coc and if something goes wrong it is only your name on a legal paper that is responsible according to the house owner , insurance company and municipality - There will be no other piece of legal paper holding anybody else responsible

Signing off on the system would also mean that you need to check string voltage , amperage and wattage against the specification of the panels and inverter , battery charging currents etc ,
    If you going to sign make sure you are covering the hours needed to do the calculations , negotiate with the municipality and submit registration, explain metering fees and tariffs to the owner and that your contractors all risk policy will handle any blow back

The risks are to big and the profits to small
    Thank you GCE. This is what I needed when I said " talk to me ".
    I will follow your advice and carry on as in the past and keep on refusing.
    Rather let someone else do it.

Just one question. The additional test report for SSEG as supplied by ECA from what I see, is for Photovoltaic Installations.
    My question is ........ Is an inverter with a battery, excluding solar panels, classified as a photovoltaic installation ?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Just one question. The additional test report for SSEG as supplied by ECA from what I see, is for Photovoltaic Installations.
    My question is ........ Is an inverter with a battery, excluding solar panels, classified as a photovoltaic installation ?
    It would not be a PV installation

We do the test report the same way we would a generator

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    This is how it would work if we lived in the Truman bubble.

The engineer designs the backup/solar project, the application forms for registration is submitted to the municipality, the equipment is installed by the trained, skilled installer, under the general supervision of the IE or MIE, who will carry out a test report which includes visual inspection and carry out the required tests to verify the installation is reasonably safe at which time the engineer could be present if they dont trust the IE or MIE is competent enough to do his job , once the COC is issued, the engineer can then walk around the site and verify the installation is in fact as per the design criteria and review the CO to see that it is completed correctly and sign off the project and submit the documents for the registration.

Show me one of the hundreds of thousands in installations already completed installation in SA that has complied with all these steps (maybe commercial, but domestic mmm) you just have to look at social media and companies promoting vetted and approved approved installers to see that few even comply with manufacturers recommendations, never mind the SANS regualations

The way I see it, that
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    By the way installing lithium batteries in occupied areas cant be that bad other wise the insurance companies would be issuing clauses to policies for properties with solar and batteries.

The reason it hast already happened is simple, nobody actually has the knowledge or enough experience to stand up create a basic guideline ( which you could make and absolute fortune selling to everyone).

Unless you can find someone who can submit a clear set of basic guidelines which includes, all the different lithium batteries, the size size of battery allowed in various locations, and requirements or classifications for that area, I wish people would stop spreading bullshyte on social media and in groups.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    By the way installing lithium batteries in occupied areas cant be that bad other wise the insurance companies would be issuing clauses to policies for properties with solar and batteries.

The reason it hast already happened is simple, nobody actually has the knowledge or enough experience to stand up create a basic guideline ( which you could make and absolute fortune selling to everyone).

Unless you can find someone who can submit a clear set of basic guidelines which includes, all the different lithium batteries, the size size of battery allowed in various locations, and requirements or classifications for that area, I wish people would stop spreading bullshyte on social media and in groups.
    Agreed - The batteries being brought into the country by reputable importers are all LiFePO4 which have a very low to no fire risk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast