Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considerations when choosing a solar system

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Considerations when choosing a solar system

Now that the crazy load shedding is a little better, we can sit back and look at the type of system to be installed. We havent had load shedding for months.

The budget is always the first consideration.

I am sure many would agree that the warranty period would be at the top of the list. Will the company still be around to honour the warranty? Was it installed correctly and will the installer be required to have some form of certification or approval?

Then we need to look at the training and product support, has your installer completed formal training with some form of certification to indicate they are familair with a specific brand or do you trust that they have done the same thing 50 times without any formal brand specific training.

You will need to consider the monthly fee which you will have to pay once you have registered your SSEG.

Feed back tarrifs would need to be taken into account when sizing the solar array.

Then we have to consider the location to fit the components, like the lithium battery and what seems to have become the real risk (the home made DC control boxes). Photos I have seen floating around the internet seem to indicate that the batteries are not bursting into flames and burning down houses, there seems to be a bigger problem with the solar DC. Lets hope these systems are fitted with some form of protection so that they can be installed anywhere inside the house, which will also be a massive saving in cable and labour costs.

Simple things like the look and space required for some of these systems. when you look at how much space some inverters and batteries take up, compared to these all in one systems, which are stackable, saving time and material costs. I think the old style of inverter, battery and a bunch of surface mount DB's and fuse etc all over the wall are going to be slowly phased out.

Most quality brands now offer a slim pleasant looking stackable system which takes up limited space and hides all the cabling within the units. SRNE, MyEnergi libbi, Huawei and Livoltek are a good examples.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Lets not rule out EV's, something to consder when installing a solar system. I know you smilling going yeah right Ev's in SA, who thought people had R150 000 plus to throw at solar systems

This is something I will be taking into consideration going forward, the communication between the solar system and the EV charger.

The more I learn about Solar edge the more I wan to invest ime into this product.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    I thought the guys installing solar might find this interesting.
    And it's local.

Check out that DB upgrade !!
    Now that's how it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGdweWIwm4M

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The video attached is a good example of why you shouldnt mess with stuff you are not sure about.

I would be concened about the following items:

The location of the inverter and battery.
    The installation clearances around the equipment installed.
    The 2 changeover switches, I dont understand why you would have one on the the essential and non essential aand why 3 rows.

I wonder if the installer is approved by Sunsynk and if he is, I hope he didnt send pics of the installation with the warranty document.

Understanding pass through current for an 8 KW inverter for example. the inverter can handle 50 amps pass through current, what is the pass through current, tha current which can be fed through the inverter to feed the UPS load (max 34.8 amps) and charge the batteries.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    The video attached is a good example of why you shouldnt mess with stuff you are not sure about.

I would be concened about the following items:

The location of the inverter and battery.
    The installation clearances around the equipment installed.
    The 2 changeover switches, I dont understand why you would have one on the the essential and non essential aand why 3 rows.

I wonder if the installer is approved by Sunsynk and if he is, I hope he didnt send pics of the installation with the warranty document.

Understanding pass through current for an 8 KW inverter for example. the inverter can handle 50 amps pass through current, what is the pass through current, tha current which can be fed through the inverter to feed the UPS load (max 34.8 amps) and charge the batteries.
    I actually thought it was an excellent installation. I would have given it a pass.

Colyn, in the video, did actually explain why there are 2 changeover switches and 3 rows.

It seems I still have a lot to learn regarding inverter installs.

Must an installation electrician first be approved by each inverter manufacturer before installing one of their inverters ?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If you install Sunsynk products for example, the installer must be approved by Sunsynk otherwise your warranty is not valid and they will not honour your warranty claim (if you post a pic of that installation in the video, it would be a fail) .

Another issue people are experiencing at the moment, they were approved and completed a number of installations already, however Sunsynk moved the goal post, you now you have to re-register, I gave up after 35 attemps to reregister, opened a ticket, which is now closed and still not approved.

If you look at the approved installers listed, they have dropped by tens of thousands. This is going to create a huge problem for people like myself who cannot register, I have basically dropped my customers in the crapper, lets hope the installed units dont start failing anytime soon.

https://www.sunsynk.org/approvedinstallers

I dont know of any other brands which require approval.

I have checked with Deye and they dont require approval, the prices are a lot better and they offer support when you are planning new installations ands they have a local service centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    I actually thought it was an excellent installation. I would have given it a pass.

Colyn, in the video, did actually explain why there are 2 changeover switches and 3 rows.

It seems I still have a lot to learn regarding inverter installs.

Must an installation electrician first be approved by each inverter manufacturer before installing one of their inverters ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    (if you post a pic of that installation in the video, it would be a fail) .
    Why ?

What are the problems ?

I'm still learning.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    There are many reasons, but the main one would be the spacing of the inverter from the wall and the fridge in form of the inverter.

Without visiting the property to understand the layout, the location, if the room is inside the house, if that opening would be used to get out the building in case of a fire, is that a single brick wall with acess to the house, if so is there fire door and does the wall go all the way to the roof (not just the ceiling), many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Why ?

What are the problems ?

I'm still learning.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I thought while in the office let me try register with Sunsynk again, what a waste of my time.

Thanks
    Thanks for that.
    Ok, am I correct in saying therefore that one cannot mount the inverter as it comes out the box, onto the wall as the spacing between the wall and inverter is insufficient ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast