Thread: Issues with parallel inverter connections

Silver Member
    Thanks

Issues with parallel inverter connections

Good day,
    I was asked to inspect the AC side of a solar installation for correctness and issue a COC afterward.
    Now I have a few questions about the work being done, these solar guys are really clever, pity that they know so little about electricity.
    Just want to ask if one can use a 4-core swa cable with a separate earth wire, green and gold, for a supply and a return between your main db and your inverter db?
    If you have more than one inverter installed, must you have a separate breaker for each inverter? And must you have a main breaker before the inverter breakers so that you can isolate the input to the whole DB?
    On the other side of the inverter, I guess the same rule applies on that side, a breaker for each inverter and a main breaker after the inverter breakers so that you can isolate the output from the whole DB?
    At the changeover must there be an Eskom breaker and an Inverter breaker next to the changeover or can the supply that goes into the changeover comes directly from the Eskom and Inverter main breakers?
    The Eskom power goes to the one db and then to the inverter and from the inverter to the inverter db and from there to the changeover.

What would you recommend? At least I know stuffing as much as possible black wires into one breaker is not legal.
    Also cutting the white earth wire off from the Eskom main cable is a no-no and bypassing the Main breaker in the kiosk outside is not a good practice.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    Good day,
    I was asked to inspect the AC side of a solar installation for correctness and issue a COC afterward.
    Now I have a few questions about the work being done, these solar guys are really clever, pity that they know so little about electricity.
    To install solar the person needs to be registered as an electrical contractor with DOL - To do so he needs to be or employ a licensed electrician

If he is asking you to inspect and issue a coc it means he is not registered and is operating as an illegal contractor and then trying to make himself look legit by getting you to prostitute your license

Do not , ever , sign for an illegal contractor as you then take full responsibility for the installation including the insurance risk.
    If something goes wrong and there is a fire the insurance company is going to come after you .

3. Thanks given for this post:

Thys LOW Elektries (05-Aug-23)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice.
    It was not the pv contractor but the owner of the house that contacted me.
    The property is and old farmhouse that doesn't have a coc, the first problem.
    I was curious about the work that was done so that if I ever had to do it, I would know the best way to do the work.
    I walked away with a big smile and can sleep soundly at night because I did not issue a coc, maybe a bit poorer but my record stay clean.
    Thanks for the advice though