Thread: CoC per DB?

Bronze Member
    Thanks

CoC per DB?

I always complete a seperate CoC for each DB on a property but was recently challenged by a client saying he had a competing quote from another electrician for one CoC for all 4 DB's (one main DB, 3 x sub db's)

For the life of me I can't find it in my copy of 10142. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    @ Andrew

I issue 1 coc for the installation with a seperate test report for each sub db.

Count the number of supply authority meters and issue a coc per meter.

The installation you describe has one meter so therefore 1 coc is required.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Andrew_van_Zyl (13-Jul-23)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    We have Electrical consultants that insist on a COC per DB - Makes it easier down the line to keep tabs and update for extra work .

Derlyn with 1 COC and 3 test reports is correct but likewise 1 COC per DB is not incorrect

5. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    @ Andrew.

Thinking about it again, I cannot see 1 or 4 COC's influencing the price that much.
    The physical work remains the same, irrespective of whether you issue 1 or 4 COC's. It's only the cost of the blank forms that differs and that is negligable.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If you are smart you used the PDF document, fill and sign

Just dont sign the document until you are sure it is correct, otherwise once you sign it you cant make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    @ Andrew.

Thinking about it again, I cannot see 1 or 4 COC's influencing the price that much.
    The physical work remains the same, irrespective of whether you issue 1 or 4 COC's. It's only the cost of the blank forms that differs and that is negligable.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Thanks
    Like I said, the cost difference is negligable. Whether you use a pc or write it out by hand shouldn't effect the quote on a 4 DB installation.

11. Thanks given for this post:

Silver Member
    Thanks
    The problem is the oaks that do an inspection and all for R1000 then when the house is sold, the new owner phones you to fix a problem and you end up giving a four page document with test and faults and to fix it all. Client say no way house have a COC and you have wasted a day and a half of work

What is the correct answer?

13. Thanks given for this post:

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the practical input everyone - much appreciated!
    Yes the work is the same and the cost of the forms is negligable - we all want to do a thorough job and sleep well at night.
    What I'm not getting is clear direction from SANS 10142?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_van_Zyl View Post
    Thanks for the practical input everyone - much appreciated!
    Yes the work is the same and the cost of the forms is negligable - we all want to do a thorough job and sleep well at night.
    What I'm not getting is clear direction from SANS 10142?
    @ Andrew, my motivation for one COC per installation is as follows:

You might not find a definite answer to your question in SANS 10142 only, however, the Occupational Health and Safety Act reads as follows:

Certificate of compliance

7. (1) Subject to the provisions of subregulation (3), every user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall have a valid certificate of compliance for that installation in the form of Annexure 1, which shall be accompanied by a test report in the format approved by the chief inspector, in respect of every such electrical installation.

Ok, from the above it is clear that each electrical installation needs a valid COC. Take note it says a coc ( one of, single )

Definition of an installation.

"electrical installation" means any machinery, in or on any premises, used for the transmission of electricity from a point of control to a point of consumption anywhere on the premises

The point of control on the installation you described would be the main switch in the main DB, so the COC must cover everything from that point to all the points of consumptions.

As GCE has indicated, it will not be incorrect to issue a COC for each sub db, however, the minimum required legally, as seen from the above, is only one.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.