Thread: Main earthing terminal

Thanks

Main earthing terminal

In 6.11.1 mention is made of a main earthing terminal. Where in a residential installation would one normally find this terminal ?

Lets take a small house with only one DB, supplied underground from a stubby or kiosk just outside the boundary. Service cable from the kiosk to the prepaid meter and then on to the DB.

Where does one find the main earthing terminal as mentioned in 6.11.1

It says that this terminal SHALL be connected to the consumer's earth terminal so I take it there must be one. I just don't know where to find it

I know where the supplier's earth terminal is in the kiosk. I know where the consumer's earth terminal is in the DB. I know where the readily accessible earthing terminal is, usually but not nessacarily in the attic, but this main earthing terminal has me stumped.

Please help.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    YOu would need to read all the codes relevant to the question to determine how you going interpret the answer to your question.

6.11 Consumer's earth terminal6.11.1 Each installation shall have a consumer's earth terminal (see 3.17) at or near the point where the supply cables to the installation enter the building or structure. All conductive parts that are to be earthed (see 6.12.3) shall be connected to a main earthing terminal (see 3.28.4), which shall be connected to the consumer's earth terminal. The consumer's earth terminal shall be earthed by connecting it to the supply earth terminal (see 3.78) or the protective conductor (see 3.14.8) and, if installed, the earth electrode. The effectiveness of the supplier's protective conductor shall be determined in accordance with 8.6.5.

3.14.8 protective conductor PE conductor provided for purposes of safety (protection against electric shock) and that also connects the supply earth to the consumer's earth terminal

3.17consumer's earth terminal terminal that is effectively and permanently earthed and to which the earth continuity conductor of an installation is permanently connected

3.28.4 main earthing terminal busbar terminal (or busbar) that is part of the earthing arrangement of an installation that enables the electric connection of a number of conductors for earthing purposes (see also 3.78)

3.78 supply earth terminal clamp or terminal at the point of supply to which the supply protective conductor is connected (see 3.28)

6.12.3 Earthing of exposed conductive parts

8.6.5 Earth and neutral fault loop impedance at the main switch
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Before you read any the attachements, it would be a good idea to go to page 1/2/3 stating at " Introduction"
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Thanks. Now I know exactly where it is located.