Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding single phase electrical wiring of premises

Thanks

Question Question regarding single phase electrical wiring of premises

Good day all.

Good to be here and part of this community.

I hope you all can help me in regards to legislation surrounding SANS10142.

I have recently moved into a new property, and after a few weeks noticed a dead short/ sometimes just not working on one of the wall sockets.

I also had to crawl around in the roof, to install new network cables to evenly distribute wifi and network connections between all the devices and my router.

I notices allot of shoddy open connections, with either no junctions boxes (only chocolate block) or connections within junction boxes with no lids/covers or glands protecting the connections from strain.

One of these uncovered metal junction boxes are right next to my geyser (with the geyser being connected with a bunch of ppr pipes)

There is also allot of cabtyre and twinflex wire being used instead of flat twin+ earth.

I contacted and paid for a report and fault-finding exercise from another registered electrician.

But right now, i find myself in the middle of a he said she said, "I didn't install that, show me the regulations back and forth.

Would you guys be so kind as to comment and recommend a course of action. And potentially point out the Sans regulations pertaining to these connections (for or against)

Are these open connections with chocolate block and no junction boxes allowed on Sans 10142, and are the use of these junction boxes only considered "good practise"?

Or are there grounds to contest this COC?

Thx in advance for all the help.

Kind regards

H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20230703-WA0012.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	8776  

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The joint in the photo is illegal and the twin flex coming out of the mess will not be suitable rated at 230v besides that fact that there is no earth

If the COC is done by an ECA member you could take it up with ECA alternatively you would need to report through the Department of Labour or contact and employ an AIA do take the case up for you .

Extract from SANS 10142-1 below

6.3.7 Joints and terminations
    6.3.7.1 Joints and terminations of cables, cores and conductors shall be
    made in accordance with manufacturers' instructions or the appropriate part
    of SANS 10198-10 and SANS 10198-11.
    Flexible cables shall only be joined using termination boxes, cable couplers or
    manufacturers’ jointing kits.
    All joints shall be accessible, protected against strain, and protected in
    accordance with 5.2.1, except for joints made and sealed permanently and
    intended to be maintenance free.

5.2.1 Live parts
    It shall not be possible to touch any live part within arm's reach with the
    standard test finger (see SANS 60529)
    a) during normal operation, or
    b) when a cover is removed, unless the cover is removed with the use of a
    tool or a key.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Howler (04-Jul-23)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The best advice I can offer is to get a test report done with a list of all the non compliant items.

Contact the estate agent who must have arranged the COC, and go that route

I am busy with another of the 100% fail rate COC's that I deal with, literally on a weeky basis.

The estate agent arranged the COC (by the way as I chat to more electrical contractors, are experiencing the same issue with COC's issued by the person they are using), because they arranged the COC, they have given us the go ahead to repair all the non compliant items (the bill is already more than R20K) and we havent even started testing yet, we are still sorting out the visual non complaint items.

I am going to say it again... THE CURRENT COC AND THE POLICING OF IT IS A SCAM BEING USED BY MANY AS A WAY TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK.

You are wasting your time, just get someone who has your best interest at hear to make it right, or just do what many people now do, hand it to the isurance company and ignore the non compliant items. So long as the insurance company has a copy of the COC, if somethings goes wrong they will pay for the repairs and sue the contractor.

Take the COC with a pinch of salt, its a wate of time and money.

What we do now, if the COC was issued by an ECA member, contact the ECA , they will contact the member and get them to return to site, you then contact a reputable electrical contractor to suspervise the job, to make sure it is done properly. You end up paying for the contractor to watch that they fix it right, but at least by the time the they are finished fighting with each other, over how the regs are interpreted and implimented, you might have a reasonably safe installation. This industry is a f^&* joke.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Howler (04-Jul-23)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    By the way looking at that connection, chances are the person who signed the COC was never on site.

I would sotrangly advise you get someone in to check the entire property, you gonan find many many other issues.

If the kitchen was recently upraded, tap the tile and check for all the old fluch boxes and joints which are now inaccessable, it shyte show out there.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Howler (04-Jul-23)

Thanks
    the response from a certain Association............that i will not name here. I find this absurd.

Good Day,

We need to distinguish between:

the certification of the existing installation as it stands as not being hazardous, per the CoC, and
    how the installations should ideally have been done whenever it was, and best practice and how we would like it done or would do it better today.

The person who did the CoC did it in terms of the first and is not responsible for the latter, unless it transgresses the first.

We would recommend that you firstly determine

the cost of what should have been done in terms of legislation, and
    then of what you would like, and
    then decide based on that who is responsible for that,
    and how to deal with it.

We have found that mostly the cost of legally required corrective action is minimal compared to the cost and trauma of legal action.

That said, personally I would simply fix what needs to be done and if the cost is significant, try recover from previous owner.

Remember that your legal recourse remains with the previous owner in terms of you purchase agreement.

You have no dealings/contract with the person who did the CoC, he worked for the previous owner who appointed and paid him.

He then has to address the electrician in terms of their contract.

Thanks
    Just something regarding cabtyre flex.

In previous editions of SANS 10142, the use of flexible cords in an installation was illegal as per the wording of 6.1.11. which stated that "flexible cords shall not be used as part of the electrical installation"

However

In the new SANS 10142 -1 Edition 3.1 the wording has been changed. It now reads "Where flexible cords are used as part of the electrical installation, the selection, installation and colour identification shall be done in accordance with this part of SANS 10142"

So according to the above, cabtyre flex is now permitted as long as the colour coding is adhered to and according to 6.1.12, bootlace crimping ferrules must be used to prevent strands of the conductor being cut off in terminations.

Just a bit of clarity regarding the regs and the use of cabtyre flex.
    Hope this helps.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Howler (04-Jul-23)

Thanks
    As you can see from the photo, bootlace crimp ferrules was not used.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    As you can see from the photo, bootlace crimp ferrules was not used.
    Correct. Also, most cabtyre has a blue conductor for neutral. This must be changed to black, using either tape or heatshrink. Neutral wires MUST be black.

GCE covered most of your query, but I just thought I'd mention the cabtyre issue as a large proportion of electricians think it's illegal to use on an installation, but according to the latest regs, not so.

Seems as if you got a raw deal.
    Some people have no scruples.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Howler (04-Jul-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Correct. Also, most cabtyre has a blue conductor for neutral. This must be changed to black, using either tape or heatshrink. Neutral wires MUST be black.

GCE covered most of your query, but I just thought I'd mention the cabtyre issue as a large proportion of electricians think it's illegal to use on an installation, but according to the latest regs, not so.

Seems as if you got a raw deal.
    Some people have no scruples.
    So just to verify

the exposed ends of the neutral that is exposed from the white casing, needs to be marked black (heatshrink or tape) at both ends of the cabtyre?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Just something regarding cabtyre flex.

In previous editions of SANS 10142, the use of flexible cords in an installation was illegal as per the wording of 6.1.11. which stated that "flexible cords shall not be used as part of the electrical installation"

However

In the new SANS 10142 -1 Edition 3.1 the wording has been changed. It now reads "Where flexible cords are used as part of the electrical installation, the selection, installation and colour identification shall be done in accordance with this part of SANS 10142"

So according to the above, cabtyre flex is now permitted as long as the colour coding is adhered to and according to 6.1.12, bootlace crimping ferrules must be used to prevent strands of the conductor being cut off in terminations.

Just a bit of clarity regarding the regs and the use of cabtyre flex.
    Hope this helps.
    There is twin flex used - which is a definite no - Also no cabtyre under 1sqmm

6.1.11 Where flexible cords are used as part of the electrical installation, the
    selection, installation and colour identification (see 6.3.3) shall be done in
    accordance with this part of SANS 10142. Flexible cords with cross sectional
    area less than 1 mm2 shall not be permitted.
    6.1.12 Where flexible cords are used, the strands of the conductors shall be
    mechanically protected with ferrules to prevent the strands from being cut off
    in terminations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast