Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question regarding single phase electrical wiring of premises

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Dont joke we were discussing this regualtion on Sunday, how it came about and the issues it has created.

I remember when twin+E was introduced, it rattled many cages and caused quite a stir, my boss at the time (alomost 40 years ago) made millions out it was on all the right boards to make it happen and off it went.

We were wiring up 6 houses a day. We had the layout marked out on the workshop floor to measure and cut cabling, put the wire into those flat twin PVC boxes, skrewits, close the lid, roll up the whole house wiring into a bundle, off to site, threw it into the roof and rolled it out, dropped the switch and plug wires down the wall with all the flat flush plaster depth boxes, knocked a couple nails in the boxes and metal fold over cable clamps and off we went to the next house.

It made no difference if the house was being sold for R50k or R 1 bar, we slapped them together as fast as we could and made the bass smile every day as his bank account grew to 6 digits and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    This is actually quite hilarious.

Hope this is sarcasm or some such, and this was not some electrician's actual defense.!!!!!
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Hi guys

Just a quick update.

I handed over everything to the department of labor.

It wasn't easy to get hold of them, and had to phone multiple person but eventually got hold of a supervisor.

A DOL investigator came out, and a 14 day warning was placed to the electrician.

He came out and took some photos, and wrote a report to defend his work.

He is now here to fix some but not all, so this will all have to be cleared up when a secondary inspection authority
    will come out do inspect his work.

This will not solve all the issues, but it is a step in the right direction.

When he was here, we argued a bit.............and i swear.

Out of his own accord, he brought up the "ladder is the tool" the ceilling hatch is the cover defense.

I laughed in his face, and told him it was bullshit. And walked away.

He still claims he is a member from the ECA, but registered in PTA, not jhb.

Told him there was a dept in every province, and they all registered with each other, and followed the same iso rules.

I am just amazed how unprofessional people can get.

Greetings

H

3. Thanks given for this post:

Gene (01-Aug-23)

Platinum Member
    Thanks

A DOL investigator came out, and a 14 day warning was placed to the electrician.
    You were lucky to have got the DOL to come out and issue a warning - Maybe there is some progress happening

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have also received feedback with regards to DOL site visits, that is why people are asking why someone would spend a pile of cash to pay for an AIA member to fly around the country, book into a hotel,rent avehicle and charge and fee to visit a site to create a fault list, then pay another contractor to do repairs, when you can just call the DOL, who has the power to take action.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    You were lucky to have got the DOL to come out and issue a warning - Maybe there is some progress happening
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I have also received feedback with regards to DOL site visits, that is why people are asking why someone would spend a pile of cash to pay for an AIA member to fly around the country, book into a hotel,rent avehicle and charge and fee to visit a site to create a fault list, then pay another contractor to do repairs, when you can just call the DOL, who has the power to take action.
    Because DOL were referring any cases or complaints to the AIA's - There has been a push to have that changed

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Because DOL were referring any cases or complaints to the AIA's - There has been a push to have that changed
    Howler, I was going to refer your case as part of that drive. Pleased to hear there is some progress.

If you get to chat to your problematic electrician again, you may mention that the gentleman at the ECA SA that looked into your case is the incumbent Regional Director for the Bosveld office, and perhaps he should investigate his membership status and why according to ECA SA records he is not currently a member.

Thanks
    Hello guys.

Just another update.

To everyone's point that things are slowly changing withing the D.O.L.........

After posting the update yesterday i had further "discussions" with the offending electrician yesterday.

He outright came out and accused me of some kind of nefarious plot with someone at the D.O.L.

He said that in his experience they never come out this quickly, and that "THEY" will do some digging to expose me and my contact.

How laughable.

A government agency actually comes out and do their duty for a change, and enforce the law............and now you cry victim.

So now after he came out and rectified all the mistakes ( AIA still has to come inspect after the fact) my security alarm (the twinflex connections) and some camera's are not operational.

Guess i will have to fix that myself.

Greetings H!

Thanks
    Just remember that your security alarm system and camera's are appliances which according to NOTE 3 on the test report, are not covered by the COC.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So now after he came out and rectified all the mistakes ( AIA still has to come inspect after the fact) my security alarm (the twinflex connections) and some camera's are not operational.
    Were they working before he did his repair work in the roof?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Were they working before he did his repair work in the roof?
    Hi Dave

It was working, but it was a bunch of illegal twin flex connections going to and from a multiplug.

So his defense is he removes what is illegal, and if it's not plugs or lights, it then has nothing to do with him.

Not very nice, but nothing much i can do about it besides just fix it myself.

Regards

H

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123