Thread: Training for SANS and solar

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Training for SANS and solar

what an I missing?

Everyone is offering training on stuff, yet there isnt even a draft in place to fix all the old outdated regulations with regards to solar, lithium batteires and many of the other challenges, including a proper COC which includes solar.

Shouldnt we first get the regs up to date and relevant, creating guidlines to assist electricians on how to correctly install solar systems.

Look at a minimum requirements for who can and cant do installations.

Everyday I switch on my laptop and open stuff, I just cringe at the pictures and wonder how the f%^& we going to fix this fiasco.

Just like gas, electric fencing and all the other stuff that requires specific training and certifciation, Solar installation should be a priority.

At the rate they ar ebeing installed, the DOL should be making it a priorty.

In saying that it make it easy for people like myself who has absolutley no formal training or certification in Solar, to get out at make a quick buck. I must I have had to put my head down and get on top of it in my spare time.

To think, the only reason I started doing research into solar was to make sure the installers couldn't batffle mt customers with bullshyte.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    At the moment it is raining money, for the training facilities, most of them only care about what they can pocket.
    While there are no regulations regarding training standards they can teach what they want and charge what they want and we electricians are stuck with the results
    Till the mess is sorted out we will see fires, electrical shorts, and whatever happens due to bad training to people that knows nothing

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Unfortunately the problem is far bigger than just the training, you have to look at the people who are given authority to control the industry.

From where I sit, it seems who ever is in charge of regulations and authority, is the person who is lacking the skills to step up and take of control this huge crisis , it seems "crisis" is the key word for everything in SA at the moment.

What seems to be happening is there are other people taking advantage of the person's lack of leadership and everyone is just taking advantage.

Everything electrical from from the top to bottom is falling apart, Eskom, SANS, DOL, councils all the way down to the labourer working in the industry.

IF you look at the products being sold in SA, right doewn to the cheapest item sold, the PVC male adaptor, the company supplying them has a major problem with the rejects. A R150 item now cost, R250 because you uave to asign a person to indentifying the which locknuts fit, then sit with a sharp knife and celan the excess plastic. I noticed yesterday, its getting so bad that the locknuts dosent go all the way around thread, so when to attempt to tighten it it just opens I just threow them all in a boxc and swop them at the wholesaler.

Liik ta the MES 4x4 6 lever switch plate, the machine has a problem, I call the MES and they inform me that they sell R800 000 worth o product per month, it must be just a batch, well I ahve a box full of rejects and switches. IF you have an MES 6 lever light switch, chances are you battle to swtich the switches, you have to remove all the switches and reamer the holes to open them up. The new ones I was given all the same.

We have a massive problem in the elctrical industry and it is not just to do with solar or training.