Thread: Will the virtual society of the internet replace real world interaction one day?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Will the virtual society of the internet replace real world interaction one day?

I think most of us realise that the Web 2.0 internet has changed our world. And many of us are dabbling with it.

For myself I've still got a foot in each camp - the "real" one where we physically meet, and one where we meet online - a virtual society.

But it seems we're developing a new generation who's social interaction is almost solely via the Web 2.0 technologies.

Will the virtual world of the internet replace real world interaction one day as the primary point of engagement between people?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Will the virtual world of the internet replace real world interaction one day as the primary point of engagement between people?

What I found interesting about this programme is when the young Rafiiq (sp?) asked if there WAS any other way.

This question leads me to believe that only those of us pre 1980 think that this is still a question?!!!!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    I would say it wouldn't replace it one day but it will definitely change it. When I was working at my previous company it was actually funny how we would use MSN and email to communicate with the other personnel even if they were sitting next to us. That in itself is a sign that it already changed.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How about an activity such as shopping. Will we really get to the point where we order everything online?

I can't see it - If we get to the point we we can do everything online, we'll be going shopping as a recreational activity. Even Rafiq goes to the coffee shop!

Thanks
    There is something which a lot of people forget about the real world vs. the virtual one: access to our entire communication is (currently) only possibly in the real world.

Tone, inflection, posture and so much more is only available when we relate face to face. I wonder if the removal of these makes the virtual world a "safe" place for people to communicate. It creates a barrier which allows us to control our communications. That is probably often a good thing.

The unfortunate effect is that there is a loss of richness and emotion in our communications.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog