Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neutral Earth bonding of inverter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JackC View Post
    "Of course the correct way, as with a generator as well, is to connect a load to the output before taking voltage measurements. I use incandescent light bulbs"

I done it with a small hair dryer as load, the voltages remain the same as tested previously. I also tested the current with a clamp meter both on live and neutral (basically the same 2.3 Amp) and when I include both neutral and live in the clamp meter I get a reading of 0.07 Amp. As explained by various forum members it seems like an inverter developed specifically for mobile use.
    Thanks for that feedback brother. Interesting. So it seems as if that inverter has a VOV output.
    Like you say ..... specially made for mobile use.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JackC View Post
    I also tested the current with a clamp meter both on live and neutral (basically the same 2.3 Amp) and when I include both neutral and live in the clamp meter I get a reading of 0.07 Amp.
    Could the 0.07Amp be an electronic amplifier offset value that is inherent in the clamp meter?
    This can be verified, by reading the display, with the jaws shut before doing the measurement. Some of the Clamp Amp meters do have a 'Zero' button.
    Anyway a Clamp Amp meter with a 40/20Amp range will not read AC milliAmps correctly, as it will be out or range for the specific amp meter range.
    To do these kind of low AC milliamps measurements, one will have to get a high quality, expensive AC Clamp Meter.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks

Leakage Current

"To do these kind of low AC milliamps measurements, one will have to get a high quality, expensive meter"

Repeated the test with a RS-Pro Leakage Current Clamp meter. Readings are Live- 2.180 Amp, Neutral- 2.179 Amp and with both live& Neutral together 0.001 Amp (1 Milli Amp).

Thanks
    Most inverters now these days have the FG or G connection as well as a neutral for internal ground fault protection.This is a standard affair with earth bonded neutral utility installation.
    Last edited by Dave A; 16-Sep-23 at 08:38 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123