Thread: Inverter battery wiring

Thanks

Inverter battery wiring

I am using a 2000-watt trolley inverter, battery combination that is working perfectly fine for running small appliances during loadshedding. However, we use an extension cord (cabtyre) from the trolley to two different rooms in the house, which is a physical hazard. Therefore, I want to do away with the extension by wiring it permanent from the trolley to the two rooms in the house. It will not from part of the electrical system of the house, it will be completely separate and will be marked as such. Question then; am I allowed to do this, or will I need a COC (which regulations will apply) the trolley do have overload protection but not earth leakage protection.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    An alternative option, run a sub db with mains and earth leakage from a lead. You can't connect Surfix or Twin and Earth directly to a plug. From the sub db you run Surfix to surface-mounted plugs in each room. If you want to do the lights also it might be a bit more of a challenge.

Alternatively, you have to split the db which is a major challenge and sometimes costly.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    You can also have a look at the ALLBRO Room Extender complete with a light and plugs. It is a fancy multiplug with no protection other than the protection it gets from the plug it is plugged into

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    An alternative option, run a sub db with mains and earth leakage from a lead. You can't connect Surfix or Twin and Earth directly to a plug. From the sub db you run Surfix to surface-mounted plugs in each room. If you want to do the lights also it might be a bit more of a challenge.

Alternatively, you have to split the db which is a major challenge and sometimes costly.
    If I understand correctly, I need to introduce a second circuit completely divorced from the main supply. I like your suggestion; with that I can introduce an earth leakage as well (with neutral and earth bonded). In this case is a COC still required?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If you look at the definition of Electrical installation in the OHSA and the requirements for a COC you would legally need a COC for any electrical work unless it is an extension lead lying loose which as stated is a risk in itself

"electrical installation" means any machinery, in or on any premises, used for the transmission of electricity from a point of control to a point of consumption anywhere on the premises, including any article forming part of such an electrical installation irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical circuit, but excluding
    (a)
    any machinery of the supplier related to the supply of electricity on the premises;
    (b)
    any machinery which transmits electrical energy in communication, control circuits, television or radio circuits;

Certificate of compliance
    7. (1) Subject to the provisions of subregulation (3), every user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall have a valid certificate of compliance for that installation in the form of Annexure 1, which shall be accompanied by a test report in the format approved by the chief inspector, in respect of every such electrical installation.
    (2)
    Subject to the provisions of subregulation (3), every user or lessor of an electrical installation, as the case may be, shall on request produce the certificate of compliance for that electrical installation to an inspector, a supplier or, subject to regulation 4(1), an approved inspection authority for electrical installations.

Thanks
    Putting it simply.

The supply to anything that uses electricity and that is fastened in position must be covered by a valid coc.