Thread: Installing a CUBE 800 UPS

Silver Member
    Thanks

Installing a CUBE 800 UPS

This is a monster, well at least for me.
    It comes prewired, pre-everything you just have to hook it up, this is where my questions start.
    There is a GEWISS AC in breaker 40A 2pole, a Hager 4pole 63A changeover, and an ACDC 2pole surge arrestor with a Lyn contactor for a bridge.
    Questions:
    Why is there is not an AC out breaker? Do I have to install one?
    The stickers were covering the labels of the breakers. If you can't read the labels of a breaker you can't COC it.
    Aluminum flex conduit with sharp ends houses the pv strings to the inverter. Not my problem, or is it, since it came from the factory like that?
    The rest of the work was done pretty need.

How do you connect the ups to the mains since you can't just plug it in somewhere? Since you don't get 40 amp 1-phase socket.
    Do you connect the UPS directly to a db somewhere on site with a 40Amp breaker and then to the earth leakage?
    Or do you have a sub-db with two 2-pole breakers to which you connect the ups and then to the main db with 40Amp mains and earth leakage?
    Or maybe two isolator switches you use to connect the ups too with a supply and return from the main db?
    I would love to have a place close by where I can isolate the power for testing, disconnecting and isolating. How would you do it?
    I have to COC it and refuse to do it. My main reasons are:
    The AC out goes directly from the changeover to the earth leakage, relying all the way on the inverter for protection. Also, the only way to isolate the AC out is by switching off the changeover.
    Also, the AC in comes from the prepaid via a changeover directly to the inverter, having no protection other than the breaker on the council side.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cube db.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	8749
    just for information and verification

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    This is a monster, well at least for me.
    It comes prewired, pre-everything you just have to hook it up, this is where my questions start.
    There is a GEWISS AC in breaker 40A 2pole, a Hager 4pole 63A changeover, and an ACDC 2pole surge arrestor with a Lyn contactor for a bridge.
    Questions:
    Why is there is not an AC out breaker? Do I have to install one?
    The stickers were covering the labels of the breakers. If you can't read the labels of a breaker you can't COC it.
    Aluminum flex conduit with sharp ends houses the pv strings to the inverter. Not my problem, or is it, since it came from the factory like that?
    The rest of the work was done pretty need.

How do you connect the ups to the mains since you can't just plug it in somewhere? Since you don't get 40 amp 1-phase socket.
    Do you connect the UPS directly to a db somewhere on site with a 40Amp breaker and then to the earth leakage?
    Or do you have a sub-db with two 2-pole breakers to which you connect the ups and then to the main db with 40Amp mains and earth leakage?
    Or maybe two isolator switches you use to connect the ups too with a supply and return from the main db?
    I would love to have a place close by where I can isolate the power for testing, disconnecting and isolating. How would you do it?
    I have to COC it and refuse to do it. My main reasons are:
    The AC out goes directly from the changeover to the earth leakage, relying all the way on the inverter for protection. Also, the only way to isolate the AC out is by switching off the changeover.
    Also, the AC in comes from the prepaid via a changeover directly to the inverter, having no protection other than the breaker on the council side.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cube db.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	8749
    just for information and verification
    Connect up as you would any other UPS/inverter /generator

Silver Member
    Thanks
    The problem with the cube is you cannot plug it in at a normal wall socket and it is permanently connected like an inverter system.
    The cube needs at least 30 Amps to charge, it weighs 150kg, and is not very mobile or moveable.
    Two 10mm square flat twin and earth wires connect the cube to the house, AC IN and AC OUT.
    Also, the DB in the house runs permanently from the UPS so I see this as a fixed appliance, or at least a generator of sorts, I might be wrong though.
    The DB in the cube has no AC out breaker and in the house the wire comes in at the top of the Earth Leakage, hence only protection from the inverter.
    If I want to isolate the cube I have to do it in the house or in the DB.
    I was looking at 6.16.1.2 a) and 6.16.1.4 and was wondering about the safety since the mains in the house is a one-pole on the supply side and nothing on the inverter side.
    A ups that plug into a socket with a bunch of leads are a lot easier to work with.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I still don't fully understand the problem you seem to have

It is a standard type 5kw inverter with batteries and MPPT all built into a cabinet instead of you mounting all the bits and pieces on a wall and interconnecting

Feed in with a 40amp or 50amp CB from main DB depending on spec and into an isolator then into the unit and fed out into 32Amp CB ,depending on spec, built into an essential DB

It has an input terminal and an output terminal

5. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (19-May-23), Thys LOW Elektries (16-May-23)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    That is what I want to confirm, that was my problem from the beginning.
    The system had no way to isolate it and I was trying to figure out the best way to isolate it when the need arises.
    Thanks for answering my question.