Thread: Retirement age reached in contract

Thanks

Retirement age reached in contract

This time last year, my driver (20+ years service) reached the retirement age of 60, as per in his employment contract.
    In Feb 2022 we signed a new fixed term contract for 1 more year - which expires at the end of this month, Feb 23.

I intend to keep him on for the immediate future, but fear his ailing health and eyesight will render him incapacitated within the next year, probably sooner rather than later.

Can I keep him on a month to month basis, with a new short term contract every month - or will this lead to problems if this extends past 3 consecutive months?

What is the best (securest) way to handle this, as I fear that regardless of how it is done, it will end at the CCMA.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCW View Post
    This time last year, my driver (20+ years service) reached the retirement age of 60, as per in his employment contract.
    In Feb 2022 we signed a new fixed term contract for 1 more year - which expires at the end of this month, Feb 23.

I intend to keep him on for the immediate future, but fear his ailing health and eyesight will render him incapacitated within the next year, probably sooner rather than later.

Can I keep him on a month to month basis, with a new short term contract every month - or will this lead to problems if this extends past 3 consecutive months?

What is the best (securest) way to handle this, as I fear that regardless of how it is done, it will end at the CCMA.
    You may have to consult a labour expert on this one, but this is what I would do:
    1. Let the current contract expire and don't renew it. Get agreement and sign off on the expired contract.
    2. Sign a new contract subject to one month's notice applicable to both employer and employee.

A 3 month contract will be too risky if he has a sudden setback whereas a monthly notice agreement will allow the employee to be retrenched at any time.
    I'm not sure if there has to be a period of no employment between the two contracts. best is to get advice.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

3. Thanks given for this post:

SCW (20-Feb-23)