Poll: Do you think the purpose of a business is to make money?

This poll will close on 30-May-24 at 10:28 AM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Purpose of a business

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Without money there is not business, the amount of money determines the scale of the company.

How you you mange the money will determine the growth or demise of the company.

There many factors to consider that it is literally impossible to know exactly what works for everyone, hence the massive fail rate of companies.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In my opinion, the purpose of a business is to make money.
    What is important, is what service you provide, and product do you supply for the money you expect to make.
    Running a business at cost is not a business.

The same question can be applied as follows:-
    Do you work for your business, or does the business work for you?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    My little one man business has never been about "making money".

Being my own boss has afforded me the flexibility of being able to follow my passion and do what I want to, not what the boss tells me to.

I've been a fisherman, chicken salesman, car dealer, nurseryman and electrician along the way.

Every venture of mine has been successfull. The fact of the matter is that I have never measured success by my bank balance, but by the number of people I've helped and made happy. I always strive to ensure that the value of my service is more than what I charge the client. I've never been without an income and not once in my 66 years can I remember ever going to bed hungry.

My very simple philosophy has treated me well. I am truly blessed.

I am still referred to by some people as the chicken man even although I stopped selling chicken about 25 years ago.

Blurock is correct about the supplier being able to make or break a business. That's what brought my thriving chicken business to an end. A greedy supplier.

I have a house, a car and a pantry full of groceries, but cannot take any of it with me one day. The only thing I will be taking with me is a number. The number of people I've helped and made happy. The bigger that number, the better. Having my own businesses has certainly made that task a lot easier.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    @Derlyn, I agree success is not measured by the bank balance, but with out a bank balance you can not follow your passion, as you will not be able to afford to.

So the profit from your ventures funds your passion, and in the end means the business is about money.
    The difference is, do you sell your soul for money?
    On many travels, I have had to remind myself that these rough stones I am stepping on is part of the path I have to travel to enjoy my passion, and if I don't have some money at the end of the trip then it will not allow me to enjoy my passion.
    Your passion can not always provide if it can not make a profit.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    @Justloadit

Yes, I agree. One must make a profit. The question is how much ? This differs from person to person. We are all different with different needs and passions. Some passions and wants cost plenty, others not. Each one is different.

Another factor is the distance one has already travelled along that road called life. My expectations and goals 40 years ago were a lot different to what they are now.

Then, I was working towards owning a house. No more the case. Then, I had to drive the latest shiniest car. No more the case. I now find myself in the comfort zone of not having to have those "keeping up with the jones" items, that force one to maximise profits, no matter what.

For most people, the further one has travelled along that life road, the more one realises that small acts of kindness, which need not cost loads of money, become the most important part of one's existance. That is where I presently find myself and boy o boy, is it good or what ?

Anyway, that's what makes this forum such a lekker place. To be able to debate these things, hear other peoples points of view and above all, to try and be of assistance to others.

Have a super evening.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234