Thread: Safety gear and working in extreme heat

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Safety gear and working in extreme heat

What is your take on sending people into a roof spaces, wearing safety gear and just working conditions in general when the temp. is over 30 degree ambient?

I am all for safety, however I do believe that when temperatures get to above 30 degrees, there should be some form of protection for the working class, wearing full overals, safety gear like hardhats and safety glasses.

Admin staff and bosses sit in an airconditioned office and squeal if the aircon is off for 2 hours.

I have worked in the construction industry for almost 40 years and expected to work 12 hours in places like Richards bay (not the worse place, I think Caprivi strip in Nambia might take top spot) in full gear.

There no 2 ways about it, us tradesmen and women are tough, we endue site conditions that any admin staff would crap themselves in 10 minutes, I ask myself why should we be expected to work in these conditions? A pic of a man holding a jackhammer sweating his butt off, being paid a fraction of what people in office get paid.

I dont understand why unions dont fight for better working conditions for the people.

I spent the day out in the sun 2 weeks ago, not again, it spotted right there, its not going to happen again, when it is that hot we will plan the jobs for cooler days or start earlier, and shorten the day.

Where are these safety officers running around crying about safety boots and safety glasses when the teams are expected to work in extreme heat conditions.

Thanks
    Fishing and surfing come in handy on days that are not suitable for working. 😆😆