Thread: Lithium batteries, how safe are they?

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Lithium batteries, how safe are they?

15 people dead after explosion and suddenly all the experts have an opinion, rules and regulations which are in place are being dusted off and reviewed. The driver has been arrested. (LP gas truck explosion)

So I ask this question again, because I am hoping we gonna get this right before we read headlines in the newspaper or on the news or not because there is no danger?

How safe are lithium batteries. From what I see on site and in pics on social media, there is no need to be concerned. They are being installed everywhere from the garage below 1.2 m even kitchens and lofts in the UK.

Do you feel there should be some form of public awareness for the public, the avid DIYer and even the IE and some MIE's ?

I have noticed nobody wants to commit to the safe location of these batteries, there is talk of a list of regulations being displayed on social media. I have spoken to a few engineers and it seems this topic requires a lot more discussion or not ?

I find lead acid batteries in cupboards, cabinets and other closed environments, with the same response "but they have been there for years". I also attended to a situation where 12 batteries started boiling inside a house.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Stage 6 load shedding and the installations are piling up by the day.

There seems to be enough stock of equipment at the moment and the pricing is improving a little.

The challenge is deciding where to install the inverter and batteries, I have just got back from doing another quote (I already have the job, just out of curiosity the customer got a few other quotes)

I wanted to find out where the other installers plan to fit the equipment and how they plan to split the DB and into essential and non essential loads, as I expected non of that stuff was discussed with the customer, the only thing the other installers requested was an electricity bill and one wanted to do a load assessment.

There is no garage or carport or laundry room etc outside the house. I spent some time going through the property and found the ideal place to install all the equipment and save of additional cables etc. A few small modification and the equipment will be safe, cool and away from the house.