Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB for indicator light

Gold Member
    Thanks

CB for indicator light

Hello

Quick one, do we need a circuit breaker to protect the cable within the DB which goes to an indicator light? The small like panel light which indicates grid on or off for example

I feel not as it's in the DB and safe zone comes to mind, I need to check the book still and I am under the impression we don't have to as very short cable etc but I would like to double check.

Cheers
    Dyl

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Hello

Quick one, do we need a circuit breaker to protect the cable within the DB which goes to an indicator light? The small like panel light which indicates grid on or off for example

I feel not as it's in the DB and safe zone comes to mind, I need to check the book still and I am under the impression we don't have to as very short cable etc but I would like to double check.

Cheers
    Dyl

What is going to protect the wiring and lamp itself in the event of a short ?
    The wire size to the lamp would need to be suitable rated to withstand th efault leavel and current of th emain switch - The lamp could sort and burn rather then trip

I would say you must install a CB to protect in that all equipment must be suitable protected

Thanks
    Howzit brother.

Short answer. .. yes you need one.
    All conductors need to have suitable over current protection.

I usually use a 5A breaker.

Cheers

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ah ok thanks gents fortunately I have used circuit breakers but it's been on my mind awhile. Also last job was short a CB so I upped the cable and used the 25A, there so that's mostly what sparked the question.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I use an inline 1 amp fuse.

Will send you a picture.

Thanks
    May I raise a conflicting opinion for discussion?

My understanding is the distribution board itself (and the first 5m of cable from it) is considered a fault-free zone and therefore indicator lamps do not require overload nor short-circuit protection.

SANS 10142-1 Definitions:
    fault free
    arrangement of conductors for which, under normal operating conditions, the
    occurrence of a short-circuit fault between phases or between phases and
    earth is only a remote possibility
    6.7.2 Installation Requirements > Protection > Overload Protection
    6.7.2.2 Except as allowed in 6.7.2.3, an overload protective device shall be installed ....
    6.7.2.3 The overload protective device may be installed at any point in the conductor run that it protects, provided that
    a) there is no branch circuit or socket-outlet between the point where there is a reduction in the conductor's current-carrying capacity and the point where the device is installed, and
    b) the entire length of the conductor is protected against short-circuit, or
    c) the conductor is
    1) of length not exceeding 5 m,
    2) so installed as to minimize the risk of overload or fault in its operating condition,
    3) not near flammable materials, and
    4) not likely to cause harm to a person in the event of a fault.
    6.7.3 Installation Requirements > Protection > Short-circuit Protection
    6.7.3.4 For the purpose of protection against short-circuit current in PVC insulated cables (of a cross-sectional area ≤ 4 mm2 ), the first 5 m length in single-phase circuits and 10 m length in multiphase circuits are regarded as being fault free, ...
    Note that this requirement is not applicable when the cable is used for a plugs or lights circuit. Then a breaker MUST be used.
    6.7.3.3 With particular reference to socket-outlets and luminaire supplies, the cross-sectional area of PVC insulated conductors shall comply with the calculated prospective short-circuit current requirements (see also the note to 6.7.3.2) for all points of consumption that fall within the limits of 6.7.3.4.

I can't seem to find the exact paragraph that designated the DB board as fault free, but for instance:
    7.12.5.1.1 Overcurrent protection and isolation shall be located as near as possible to the output terminals of each alternative supply unit, except where the cable connecting the unit to the distribution board is mechanically protected and is regarded to be within the fault-free zone of the distribution board where protection is installed.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recre8 View Post
    May I raise a conflicting opinion for discussion?

My understanding is the distribution board itself (and the first 5m of cable from it) is considered a fault-free zone and therefore indicator lamps do not require overload nor short-circuit protection.

SANS 10142-1 Definitions:
    fault free
    arrangement of conductors for which, under normal operating conditions, the
    occurrence of a short-circuit fault between phases or between phases and
    earth is only a remote possibility

:

Hi
    By the definition that you pasted it is only fault free to the extent of a short circuit fault between phases , earth etc.

It is not fault free from overload.
    Wire size needs to be suitable protected from over current

All items /components need to be suitable protected - Fundamental's section 5 is pretty clear on that.

I cannot install a 500Kva genset 5m from the D/Board and connect to the busbars of a 1000Kva supply with 16sqmm wire
    I need to size the wire to handle the current and ensure that if it goes overcurrent that the wire does not melt and catch fire , so it needs to be suitable protected with the correct size CB

Same story for the indicator light

Then you also have

6.6.3.2 Small power distribution units (SPDUs or ready boards) for
    single-phase 230 V service connections shall comply with SANS 1619
    Last edited by GCE; 01-Dec-22 at 06:30 AM.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Derlyn (01-Dec-22)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Hi
    It is not fault free from overload.
    Wire size needs to be suitable protected from over current
    Would the quoted 6.7.2.2 and 6.7.2.3 (Overload protection heading) not negate the need for overcurrent protection? Since the indicator lamp would tick the bold sections
    6.7.2.3 The overload protective device may be installed at any point in the conductor run that it protects, provided that
    a) there is no branch circuit or socket-outlet between the point where there is a reduction in the conductor's current-carrying capacity and the point where the device is installed, and
    b) the entire length of the conductor is protected against short-circuit, or
    c) the conductor is
    1) of length not exceeding 5 m,
    2) so installed as to minimize the risk of overload or fault in its operating condition,
    3) not near flammable materials, and
    4) not likely to cause harm to a person in the event of a fault.

I don't mean to be combative, I just want to approach from a strictly minimum requirement with the regs (as opposed to the right and safe thing to do)

Thanks
    In the above context, replace the word "may" with "is allowed to be" and read it again.

Its allowed to be anywhere along the length of the wire, but it must be there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    In the above context, replace the word "may" with "is allowed to be" and read it again.

Its allowed to be anywhere along the length of the wire, but it must be there.
    Hmm now that is an interesting twist to the interpretation. My intepretation was in that 6.7.2.2 "Except as allowed in 6.7.2.3, an overload protective device SHALL be installed ..." - making the conditions in 6.7.2.3 override the "shall" to a "may".
    Question is though, if you interpret the "may" as "still required but placement is relaxed"... then for instance the following path of reading becomes nonsensical.

6.7.2.3 The overload protective device may be installed at any point in the conductor run that it protects provided that
    > c) the conductor is
    > 4) not likely to cause harm to a person in the event of a fault.

Forming the sentence out of the clauses like that leans more towards the requirement of the device vs the positioning of it. The regs really are waaaay to ambiguously written.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast