Thread: Geyser element blowing.

Thanks

Geyser element blowing.

Hi all

One of my clients has been through 4 spiral geyser elements in the last 6 weeks.

He uses borehole water.

Is there anything else one can do other than using the correct element for the job, to prevent them from lasting only about a week before blowing ?

First time I've come across something like this.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Hi all

One of my clients has been through 4 spiral geyser elements in the last 6 weeks.

He uses borehole water.

Is there anything else one can do other than using the correct element for the job, to prevent them from lasting only about a week before blowing ?

Any ideas ?
    If he uses borehole water, he should have a strainer in the pipe feeding from the borehole.
    Although the water may look clean, there may be fine sand particles and also elements causing calcification.
    Contact me at Asante Maji for more information.

Corrosion is the #1 reason for geyser failure according to the insurance industry. They quote life spans of 3 - 5 years.
    Geysers are supplied with Sacrificial anodes which need replacing every 2 years but seldom are.
    Our Clever Geyser includes smart ICCP anodes with a service life of 20 + years and is maintenance-free.
    Impressed Current Cathodic Protection is the same technology that protects ships from rust.

Our system will also enable you to manage your geyser from anywhere on a smartphone or PC, by turning the geyser on or off, changing the temperature, and getting alerts for leaks or faults. You can save on electricity by reducing the temperature in your geyser. Set at 55C, you can save 66% on your energy compared to 65C.

The typical human pain threshold on pain is 44C. Geysers are normally set at 60 - 65C and can reach up to 75C before the element switches off.
    At 48C you can sustain 1st-degree burns within 10 minutes, at 55C, 2nd degree and at 60C you can suffer serious burns within 3 seconds.
    At 72C human skin is permanently destroyed. Is it worth the risk to your children?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Hi all

He uses borehole water.

Any ideas ?
    We have a client with similar problem and situation .

We found that the borehole has calcium which is causing a build up in the geyser .Once drained the first time it was like wood chips floating around inside - We clean as best we could and used a copper spiral element that lasted longer .
    Find that the problem is the calcium chips build up around the element causing undue heat and popping the element.
    There are ceramic elements which could help but cost in the region of 3K .Link below.

The only way is water purification plant as the calcium is going to clog his plumbing , washing machine etc .
    I would not trust borehole water in town as you never know when a sewage leak is close by filling your borehole .

https://m.engineeringnews.co.za/arti...26/rep_id:4433

Thanks
    Thank you gentlemen for the responses.
    After many calls and driving around, I managed to find a copper element.

We will see how long that lasts. If that doesn't do it, we will have to source that ceramic job, expensive or de not.

The filtration is good, I'd say. There are 4 sediment filters.

It is definately a corrosion problem.

Once again, thank you guys.