Thread: My take on solar course

Thanks

My take on solar course

Hi guys

So I did one of the well known/advertised solar courses last month. The 5 day version.

Was it worth the money.. I'd say probably not.
    Only 1 day of practical which was poorly organized. There was only 1 skimpy toolbox to be used among the 3 groups at the same time.

So you were always waiting for a spanner, socket, multimeter etc. Frustrating.

Lots of interesting info during class which I didn't know which was nice.
    Lecturer was clued up and did his job well, taking questions etc.

What concerns me is why would a person who can barely use a screwdriver go on a solar course?
    Surely you would first learn basic electrical before going on a course like this.

As it stands now anyone off the street can do it and say they've been trained in solar.

If they were serious, being a qualified electrician would be a bare minimum requirement to be able to enroll.

Anyway at least I did it, now I won't be wondering should I shouldn't I.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Will be interested to know where and who you did the course with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Hi guys

So I did one of the well known/advertised solar courses last month. The 5 day version.

Only 1 day of practical which was poorly organized. There was only 1 skimpy toolbox to be used among the 3 groups at the same time.

What concerns me is why would a person who can barely use a screwdriver go on a solar course?
    Surely you would first learn basic electrical before going on a course like this.

As it stands now anyone off the street can do it and say they've been trained in solar.

If they were serious, being a qualified electrician would be a bare minimum requirement to be able to enroll.

Hi there

I also did a 5 day solar course last month and came to the exact same conclusion

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I went to the solar show and moaned about how they taking anyone but by law you have to be a spark of IE or MIE and be a contractor and there was a lot of umm and ahhh and then one guy said actually their is an issue and then GCE showed us that mail about the course.

The company said they in talks to try make it so that they can offer it so someone can do only the PV panels and put the inverter on the wall sort of deal and not be a spark but then a spark can do the rest.

I then said but for sign of General control is needed before a sign off and then he was lost.

Basically it's a cowboy world and will be for a long time. I don't see if being sorted.

Their are companies that are doing only solar and no electrical knowledge and they are making proper cash. Try tell them to stop now they won't.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Silver Member
    Thanks

Solar and electrical bridging course

The problem is the solar market is fast growing in a big market and a money making market. The solar guys feel solar training is all you need and the electrical guys feel we had work, study and learn hard to get where we are today.
    I agree solar training needs an electrical component, which most solar guys knows nothing about!
    What if the solar courses have a bridging course that teaches basic electricity, tools etc. so that the person is at least at appy level before doing the solar course. Most of the work will be solar related and not wiring of premises related, also a bit of legality so they understand the basics of the SANS regulations. Maybe they will mess up a wee bit less.

Greatings

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I did a solar course actually two courses both I learned a lot and at both courses I was the only electrician at the course. The students didn't know the basics of electricity, how to calculate load resistance etc. also the use of a meggar and other tools were foreign to them
    I did one course at Potch University and the other at Herholdt's Kimberley not want to advertise so I don't mention course names

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Hi guys

Also did 5 day course - I can even guess where you did it based on what you are saying.

A learnt a little something but there was not one person on that course I would take on at my company or allow to work in my or my family houses to be a solar installer.

1 was an electrician the rest, not so much. And the mad scramble for the tools was silly. Never touched a screwdriver so never really did anything practicle. Just stood back and watched.

The guy doing the course was very clued up - was impressed with that.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    From what I am reading here, and feedback I have from engineers and electricians who have completed these courses, its not a total waste of money, but do we need to complete a 5 day course to learn the basics that we spent 3 years of theory and practical, then another couple years of practical and again more theory to get our yellow card, then another couple years of practical and theory to get a red card, and now we must step back and do a course that is run for people who have no qualifications or experience.

Are they covering the important stuff that nobody can answer, like safe isolation, and location of equipment. Safety aspects of lead acid and lithium batteries, where they can be installed?

Do they offer a list of all the relevant codes which must be purchased and read prior to doing an installation.

It sounds like there should be an advanced course for qualified electricians, which covers the basic of solar installations, safe installation locations, risks involved in both lead acid and lithium batteries and how to do a proper load profile and the correct equipment to use.

You have to give the guys credit, they go out and realised the market and smiling all the way to the bank, who cares about the public, they are the responsible person not us.

Do you expect anything to change?

I have another joker who is an association member, who fills out a branded association COC, with section 4 item 14 of an old 4 page COC ... N/A yet the DB has 6 labels as clear as day "ALTERNATE SUPPLY" in bold red letters on the main DB. When the customer confronted the member about the illegal/fraudulent COC issued for the house 2 months prior. His response was that he personally did the test report and didnt notice the big red labels, and offered to return to sort out he issue.

This is the second COC we have audited by this person and both time, the member was found to be negligent, after 3 days of attempting to bring the site up to standard thrown off site due to damages caused by his staff.

My question is what is this association doing about monitoring COC issued by its members. I would be getting a little embarrassed if my hand of safety logo was being used in this manner.

An earth wire being used as a live return taped up and closed in a box where you cant see it, is one thing, but not identifying the presence of an alternate supply with bright red labels on the main DB...really. It seems doing favours for mates or just signing off COC's without even visiting the site has become a real problem.

Someone is going to have to create a register and carry out random checks on COC's being issued.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    So, at the end of the day...where does one go to for solar training??

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_van_Zyl View Post
    So, at the end of the day...where does one go to for solar training??
    There are lot of solar courses all over the country, its trying to find one that is not going to teach you something for 2 days and not waste the other 3 days of your week.