Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surge protection

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Surge protection

Now that we all understand the difference between lightning and surge protection, what are your thoughts on where surge protection should be installed.

1/ The main DB, at the main switch (non-essential supply) ?

2/ The Sub DB, at the main switch, after the neutral earth bond (essential supply or inverter output) ?

3/ The DC combiner box for the panel cables ?

The reason for the questions, if the building has solar panels and the panels are earthed, bonded and have an earth spike, are class II surge arrestors the correct units?

Do you need surge protection after the inverter or only in the main DB?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    My opinion yes because we are doing surge protection and not lightning.

A direct strike if it was a class 1 or 2 but with no proper lighting protection standards will do nothing.

When I spoke to DHEN about this he said you can fit a type 1 and Type 2 for extra measure but make sure they are coordinated (basically same brand in a nutshell)

Earthing of Panels for the sake of earthing can now cause an extra conductor to carry a surge so bonding or earthing a panel in most cases is useless.. unless a metal roof that is already earthing on AC side etc then bonding of panels to roof for same equipotential is then needed.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Surge protection in main DB and then Surge protection for PV i.e has + and - as they have better contacts and a lot of stuff I can remember that PV surge is for the PV strings only for when they pick up current that is induced for example near by storm

I must add I am not qualified in this field but it is what I have learnt and learning.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi all

Hope you don't mind me asking a question on this thread. Its related to surge protection.
    I have a 3kva inverter installed.
    I spoke to the electrician and asked what is the best defence against against power surges. Effectively he said that nothing will save you. You can install surge protection in your DB and if the power surge is big it will go past the surge protector and still damage your appliances and inverter.

I would really appreciate some advice on this. I spent a good some of money installing the invertor and need some sort of protection. Yes there is a fuse fitted but if I recall its more to protect the batteries.

Thanking you in advance.

Kavesh

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    A good quality surge arrestor will protect equipment , if have just seen it again when a neutral was stolen on Friday evening .

For good quality class1 and 2 combined expect to pay around R1 000 per pole - So +/R2K for a single phase supply

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I agree with the person who mentioned that the lightning/surge protection will not protect you against a direct hit or a really big bang on the council. I can share a few stories about insurance claims going into the 100's of thousands. I also have a few pics of installations where we have installed the best quality surge protection, trip connects and all those nice things, blown to pieces.

However if you want to spend some money on surge protection to reduce the risk of damage due to transient spikes, heavy load switching during load shedding etc.

Surge protection in the main DB will help reduce the risk of damaging sensitive electronic equipment, installing surge protection on plug tops for example will also help. Add a trip connect device which will protect against neutral cable theft.

More important than our advise, check with your insurance, if they require surge protection, best you have it installed.

From past experience, insurance will cover until the first bang., then they will send you an email with a clause which no longer covers you unless you have surge protection.

Beware, make sure you read the clauses related to surge protection, most insurances companies will not cover you unless it is lightning related. No storm on the day, no cover. You will have to claim from your local supplier.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Is a trip connect device like those TV safe units ?

I thought a surge protector will help with a Neutral stolen?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have a couple 3 phase units on sites where we have low voltage issues, but can be used for over voltages caused by neutral cable theft.

We still have sites which are FUBAR after "faults on the supply". In some cases the units are melted and welded closed. They do work, because I have had cases where there has been cable theft and the sensitive equipment was not damaged.

https://surgeprotection.co.za/produc...-connect-3p-v2

https://surgeprotection.co.za/sites/...01036_rev0.pdf

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    If you scratch around on the internet you will find a product that looks identical to the trip connect. I dont know if the clearline product is rebranded.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ahhh yes ok, you have mentioned it before sorry, I didn't quite click. But also good reminder of the product!

Very cool stuff that thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast