Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surge protection

Thanks
    As far as load shedding is concerned, I'm still convinced that my fridge safe together with contactor is the answer.

My power comes on a couple of minutes after everyone else's and I'm sure the spikes caused by switching on are long gone by the time mine comes on.

I have noticed that led lights are prone to failure because of spikes from loadshedding. How do I know this you may ask.? I have had many clients complaining that led lamps were blowing left right and centre. I suggested that when there's loadshedding to switch off the lights and only to switch them on again after the power has been turned back on. End of problem.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The spikes are recorded as load shedding is switched, on both, on and off. The bottom line is load shedding is doing a lot more damage than we identify. Its good busy for maintenance sparkies. A drive in a machine could cost in excess of R100 000 .

Rather focus on your insurance, make sure you understand your cover and check that there is no clause which voids surges caused by anything other than lightning. The assessor will check the weather report for the day of the claim. Dont say you weren't warned, I see the insurance companies handing out proper wedgies to loyal customers who pay and think they are covered.

Insurance companies are about collecting monthly revenue not paying out share holder profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    As far as load shedding is concerned, I'm still convinced that my fridge safe together with contactor is the answer.

My power comes on a couple of minutes after everyone else's and I'm sure the spikes caused by switching on are long gone by the time mine comes on.

I have noticed that led lights are prone to failure because of spikes from loadshedding. How do I know this you may ask.? I have had many clients complaining that led lamps were blowing left right and centre. I suggested that when there's loadshedding to switch off the lights and only to switch them on again after the power has been turned back on. End of problem.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The moral of the story, just like you pay the school teacher, teller at the bank and "insurance broker a monthly fee, make sure you get them to go through your policy step by step even if it means they must do a site visit and 5 hours to verify everything in the document and highlight everything you are not sure about. When that wall collapses or the drive pops, they will refer to the document you signed, its all there in the document.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments guys, lots of food for thought.

My current policy only covers R10k which is nothing sadly. I was asking my broker to increase the cover and she mentioned that the insurance companies are loading premiums for higher cover, which can make it challenging for the lay man to accept.
    I was also told that the insurance companies are insisting on surge protection, but as far as I have read my policy does not stipulate this, but will confirm with the broker again.

Seems we are getting screwed all round....

Thanks
    Fortunately, I've never had insurance.

Not once have I paid for other people's stuff to be replaced.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post

The AUS-IoT Monitor (LoRa system) for electricity can be useful to prevent/reduce spikes. We can program the electricity meters in a complex to switch on in phases instead of all the units at the same time. That seems to work well for our customers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201201_160949.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	8670
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quick one on SPDs... I tried to look at manuals but can't find.

What size conductors do we use ??

So if the SPD does not have an integrated fuse then we need to have Circuit breaker before the SPD, so I then assume if we use a 20A then 2.5mm is fine, but that's not a lot of amps.... So then we do 50A CB and 10mm cable and then I assume same size for the Earth ?

I can not find any info on what size cable and then what size circuit breaker.

Same goes with the N E bridge on the other thread... What size relay/ contactor and what's size CB ?

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Quick one on SPDs... I tried to look at manuals but can't find.

What size conductors do we use ??

So if the SPD does not have an integrated fuse then we need to have Circuit breaker before the SPD, so I then assume if we use a 20A then 2.5mm is fine, but that's not a lot of amps.... So then we do 50A CB and 10mm cable and then I assume same size for the Earth ?

I can not find any info on what size cable and then what size circuit breaker.

Same goes with the N E bridge on the other thread... What size relay/ contactor and what's size CB ?

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
    Normal rules apply with regards to wire size - Manufacturers instruction will specify
    If your CB is SP domestic 80Amps then that should protect most surge arrestors .

Relay size - same story - normal rules apply - If you have a 5Kw inverter the rating would be at least 20Amps with a surge of 7Kw on a 40 Amp CB protection on incomer and 20 Amp or 32 on output

Max PSSC is equal to Max Surge - rate accordingly

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    The AUS-IoT Monitor (LoRa system) for electricity can be useful to prevent/reduce spikes. We can program the electricity meters in a complex to switch on in phases instead of all the units at the same time. That seems to work well for our customers.

Name:	IMG_20201201_160949.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	8670
    Can these be installed in a private home? Please explain how this works if you don't mind.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kavesh View Post
    Can these be installed in a private home? Please explain how this works if you don't mind.
    Yes, it can, providing there is LoRa cover in your area. It is ideal for residential and commercial complexes (including high-rise buildings) where one unit or section at a time is switched back on to prevent overload or spikes. We do not sell routers as it comes as part of the package where numbers warrant it. Routers are shared with the Worldwide LoRa Alliance. for a single user who is out of range, a mini LoRa wi-fi router is available. Unfortunately, at a cost.

Name:	System.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	8672 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wi gateway.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	8673

The AUS-IoT System allows Managing Agents to manage their utilities (water, gas & electricity) on a dashboard and an Android app for the tenants. Meters are read online and alerts for leaks and faults are sent via the system and email.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aus system.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	8671  
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast