Thread: Old Samsung tablet

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Old Samsung tablet

I have an old Samsung tablet which want to use as a monitor and to arm and disarm the alarm, switch on lights etc.

I thought I could use my old Ipad mini, however if the firmware is older than 10.0, you cannot down load new apps, even the IPhone 5 has reached that limit, you can no longer use apps like WhatsApp

It seems Samsung product have the same issue, they reach a firmware point and can no longer download apps or update apps.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Could be CPU/OS limitations, and require new core CPU and OS.

They force you to upgrade because the apps are compiled for the new processor cores. Pain in the butt.
    My XP still works well, but can not load many of the newer programs, which are no longer downwards compatible, and as time passes, downward compatible is also falling away.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

3. Thanks given for this post:

Isetech (08-Sep-22)

Thanks
    Could try flashing the tablet with a custom rom which may allow you to download and run those apps.

I have no experience with this so google would have to be your friend.

Can try and see if they have a version for your tablet here, https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
    Last edited by BikerBob; 07-Sep-22 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added link to lineage os

5. Thanks given for this post:

Isetech (08-Sep-22)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It just seems such a waste and another land fill problem.

There must be millions of these devices which are still fully functional, even if the battery is dead, which can be plugged into the charger and left as monitors for CCTV systems, or touch screens for home automation and alarm triggers etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    It just seems such a waste and another land fill problem.

There must be millions of these devices which are still fully functional, even if the battery is dead, which can be plugged into the charger and left as monitors for CCTV systems, or touch screens for home automation and alarm triggers etc.
    It is true, but it boils down to surviving tactics, the profit made from the product on the original sale becomes lost in the grand scheme of things (shareholder dividends), causes the company into a situation that no new sales will cause the company to become insolvent. The one way to maintain market presence, is to force new sales, and how does one do this, create a product which becomes obsolete in a few years, forcing the customer to buy a new one, and the cycle starts again.

I remember a statement made by one of the dark under lords, to make tons of money, make a product that costs a few cents, sell it for a dollar and ensure that it is addictive.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerBob View Post
    Could try flashing the tablet with a custom rom which may allow you to download and run those apps.

I have no experience with this so google would have to be your friend.

Can try and see if they have a version for your tablet here, https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
    Thanks, I did check it out however I have no interest in going down that route, being an apple fan boy, I will leave the android lads to sort out their device.

I did a factory reset and decided it is not worth the time or energy.

I know a youngster who does coding, will see if he wants to charge a small fee to get it working. The other concern using older devices for security systems is the lack of internet security.