Thread: Solar PV training (green card)

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Solar PV training (green card)

Do you feel electricians should do the training solar PV training courses, if you as a qualified electrician plan to do solar PV installations, I would say yes, just like any other industry you branch into.

I decided to start doing alarm m systems and CCTV, it has taken me years of training and practical to get to where I am at the moment.

We all know that a green card is not a valid stand alone qualification, however it would be advisable to do some form of training if you plan to go into solar installations.

I am trying to decide which course to attend, any suggestions. I have done a lot of research into solar so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but I still feel I should do some form of training just to make sure I have covered everything. I still a have a lot of questions. I was offered free training with Victron, but it was a while back, I doubt they still offer free training.

I believe it will become like electric fences and gas installation were certification will be required.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The important thing about the course would be that the course is recognised, I dont know of any recognised training centres. Lots of wholesalers offering training and a couple of R3000, 3 day course around.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I too want to do a course, I am deciding and waiting for time for either Green Solar or then PQRS.

I have heard PQRS is good but they give you some L4 thing and not PV Greencard so if you want the green card then Go Solar is the only one I know of at the moment.

Green solar is also practical which I think is great

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I did the course last week. Very involved and lot to take in during the 5 days.

I was installing Grid tie solar back in the uk 13/14 years ago.

If you are an electrician - the electrical side you will have no problem with.

The rest is like a lot of things - some you will never use again but you need to be aware of it - and there were lots of things i was not aware of.

Was it worth - yes. I learnt a lot.

Do i think electricians should do the course - YES!!!. Most of the "electricians" on the course were not great. Its not a hard course, just intense but some there were wasting their time. Not being nasty - just the way it was.

The practicle side is not rocket science but sho, some struggled.

Out of the the 10 i did the practicle side with, I would say 2 were capable of installing that basic system.

So if it gets those who can't, out of the system then I say, yes, green card must be a requirement.

I am staggered at some of the guys who have winged there wiremans license these days.

It will take a few roof fire and they will clamp down on who can do solar. Especially from an insurance point of view

For now it seems it will remain like the wild west.

Until people stop signing off crap CoC's it and wiremans license are not given you like T-shirts at an ANC voting rally, nothing will never change.

I mean anyone can in theory, anyone can whack a system on the roof and get a sparks to sign it off....