Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DC changeover switch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    On a good solar day and at the time when solar is producing 1 Kw , then yes - At night, No

200Amp of batteries is +/- 2 400w of electricity stored of which you should only use a total of 30% if you want to prolong your battery ( assuming gel batteries) - You should only use 720W from your batteries during a load shed in total , so +/- 360w per hour for 2 hours

It also depends on our charge controlling as to how quick you can recharge the batteries and your inverter charge current.
    Eish ! No wonder I see houses with no tile space left for more panels and when you ask the owner if they off grid, they say 90%.

What setup would one need to go off grid if your demand never exceeds 1Kw.

Once again for those with some grey matter Mine has expired long ago.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Eish ! No wonder I see houses with no tile space left for more panels and when you ask the owner if they off grid, they say 90%.

There is no such thing as going off grid unless you have a ton of cash and a generator.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post

Don't think there is any definite answer , is basically how deep are your pockets.

To give an idea , we have a off grid system that uses 200w during the day and 1,4 Kw at night - It is all security equipment and lighting.

We have 10Kwp of panels and 30Kw of usable Lithium batteries - Actual sizing is 32Kw and we can go to 95% if needed .

Works well and generally uses about 40% of the battery and is recharged before lunch time the next day.

We had 2 days of rainy , cloudy weather and low solar production and on day 3 batteries turned off at about 23H00 -

Was +/- R 550K system which was cheaper than trying to get a cable there from mains supply.

I would guess that your 1 Kw system would need similar setup and then still a genset that will be compatible with charging the batteries through the inverter.
    Inverters and generators can be a problem as you need to get the genset to run close to the inverters grid compliance figures.
    On a complete off grid system you could widen the tolerance on the inverter if it allows you to but if you are also connect to grid you would need to satisfy NERSA requirements

Thanks
    Thanks for that brother.
    Thought someone would give me some good news. 😁😁

And Eskom wants to fix their problems with solar panels. I dont think there's enough ground in SA for that.

I've just ordered a stainless steel 100 litre rocket geyser. Make a small fire and half an hour later you have hot water. Plenty wood here. Back to those days I'm afraid.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I have a special kettle (+/-15 litres)which fits on the gas stove, it was designed many years ago, but it never took off, I managed to get my hands on a demo unit and still use it to this day.

It is perfect for a bucket bath, after all the flooding it was used for a 3 weeks everyday.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I am hearing some stuff about solar and council fees and stuff that dont sound good.

I was holding back hoping there would be some form of rebate like they did in other parts of the world, instead it sounds like it is going to be quite the opposite.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You need to feed the greed - the fat cats are looking for other ways to supplement their income.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    You need to feed the greed - the fat cats are looking for other ways to supplement their income.
    Or carry the load of every taping in for free ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I am hearing some stuff about solar and council fees and stuff that dont sound good.

I was holding back hoping there would be some form of rebate like they did in other parts of the world, instead it sounds like it is going to be quite the opposite.
    This is the reason I haven't put in solar panels for my inverter setup yet. With eThekwini's pricing structure, my utility bill will go up (quite significantly) rather than go down. Seems the safe solution is to put your geyser on solar as this doesn't carry the same prohibitive penalty.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    This is the reason I haven't put in solar panels for my inverter setup yet. With eThekwini's pricing structure, my utility bill will go up (quite significantly) rather than go down. Seems the safe solution is to put your geyser on solar as this doesn't carry the same prohibitive penalty.
    With the amount of load shedding, using a an oil based fuel for energy is getting prohibitive.
    My experience has been that the fuel bill for 30 hours is equivalent to one months electricity bill when available.

The running of business is getting more expensive with every load shed cycle.
    What is beginning to happen, is the failure of the infrastructure network with each load shed cycle, as switch gear was not designed for this type of cycling.
    Another problem is that criminals are taking advantage of the load shed cycle to steal the infra structure.
    Was with no power for 3 days last week due to the HV circuit breakers tripping every time they were enabled.
    Eventually they had to rewire the substation with new wire and circuit breakers.
    Being an industrial business area, the losses have been insurmountable.

Since no new power stations are being planned, the situation is not going to improve.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast