Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Understanding a Sunsynk inverter

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What panels are used is not an issue, what is important, that all panels are of the same wattage and from the same supplier.
    Next ensure the unloaded or what is referred to as the open circuit voltage does not exceed the Inverter maximum input PV DC input.
    Next ensure that the ISC or short circuit current, does not exceed the Inverter maximum operating PV DC input current, and you should be safe.

Of course the placement of the panels is extremely important. Panels that are connected in series should all be exposed to the sun, NO SHADOWS, as this will affect the series array performance.
    If you have a north facing roof surface then you are lucky and get away with one series array.

If you do not have sufficient area to place all the panels facing north, or if you have a roof facing West and East, then you will require 2 sets of series panel arrays, one on the West side, and one on the east side, and if you have a Sunsynk/Deye, then no problem. In the morning the East facing array will collect sunlight, and in the afternoon, the West facing panels will collect sunlight. It will mean a double cost in PV panels.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    We have found that west and east facing is not a bad option if you lloking to get the batteries charging early in the morning and top them up in the afternoon.

It also pays if you have smart controll and neeed to go to work for the day. it gives you a lower but longer hump.

This is why it is important to take everything into account that you plan to do withthe system.

If you just want a load shedding solution to charge batteries, a genral setup will work, how ever once you realise the potential of the system, this start to get a little more tricky and more time tweeting the setiings and using the system mode to charge and discharge the battery becomes more important. Sometimes adding a couple extra panels adds huge value to the system.

We try to oversize the system and allow space for expansion, within the budget, because once the customer realises the potential of the system they start planning for more.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Since a PV panel is a current source, the only change in the voltage of the panel is due to the effect of temperature.
    The open circuit voltage between say -5°C and 25° to 55°C can say as much as 5V up when cold to down when hot from the specification sheet which is done at 25°C
    What changes is the amount of current the panel provides. It can vary fr0m 0.5A early in the morning say at 08H00 to FSD amps example 11A between 11H00 to 13H00during a sunny day. Provided the Azimut angle is correct and panels facing North in the southern hemmisphere, and that there are no shadows and the panel is clean and free from bird droppings. As clouds come over, the MPPT voltage remains the same, only the current changes.
    I tend to disagree in part - The panels will get to a point where they can no longer increase current or the inverter clips the current to stay within range and the voltages rises .
    I have always understood that the MPPT can take a surge in current for short periods but a surge in voltage causes the damage .

We have a system extremely close to the coast and it is affected with the sea mist causing edge of cloud type effect. The system generally runs around 600Vdc per MPPT and have seen it vary from 500 to 700v during the day .
    Have also noticed that if the incoming voltage goes out of spec that the inverter is sync to and it cuts the current that the voltages rises , also around 100vdc

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Looking at one of the plants, we have 12kw on the roof.

Cliped at 9 KW

9.22 am = 8.46 kw

9.22 am = PV1 -16.2 amps
    PV2 - 16.2 amps

9.22 am = PV1 - 271.1 VDC
    PV2 - 258.2 VDC

Clipped at 5 kw

12.09 = 4.14 kw

12.09 = PV1 - 7.3 amps
    PV2 - 7.3 amps

12.09 = PV1 - 288 VDC
    PV2 - 285 VDC

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    What does it tell us, that you can clip/cap or whatever you want to call it.

Installing 550 watt panels with a 5 kva inverter can be done.

Check your VOC is within the limits and you are good to go.

IF you are a DIY guy who enjoys tinkering, you have full control over your system and paid for the system yourself, then really speaking the sky is the limit. There is not limit, come winter you crank it up to compensate for the looses, come end of winter and you forget to clip/cap the power and poof, no big deal, lesson learnt.

Now lets look at the installer doing the same thing, he forgets to clip/cap the power in spring, something goes bang, who has to pay the bill.

Or another scenerio, someone facotry resets the unit and its the middle of summer, nobody is aware of the clipping/cap, bang MPPT in it's moer in, who pays.

I stick to the data sheet, the recommmeded installation advice, including spacing and all those other silly things.

To answer empowered, the simple answer is no, I wouldnt take a chance if if is for a customer.

Can you connect a 550 watt panel to a 5 kva inverter, I dont see why not, if the VOC is within the range and the power is capped to keep the power and current below the limit, why not ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    I tend to disagree in part - The panels will get to a point where they can no longer increase current or the inverter clips the current to stay within range and the voltages rises .
    I have always understood that the MPPT can take a surge in current for short periods but a surge in voltage causes the damage .
    I am not sure what you are referring to when saying it clips when doing MPPT control. Does the specifications state that there is an active current limit controlled by the inverter on the PV incoming side?
    The specifications that I read and took was that the PV current has a maximum current, and do not exceed the current, or the controller will overheat due to the extra energy from an elevated current above specifications.

A typical PV open circuit voltage to MPPT voltage is approximately 20%, in other words, if the panel string open circuit voltage is 700V DC, then the MPPT is around 570 to 580V. As the panel heats up, this voltage value will drop down, approximately 5% to around 550V to 560V.

PV panels being a current source will not create any surge current, the maximum current will always be the short circuit current, and if the MPPT volts drops under the 20% of the open circuit voltage, then there is an issue with the inverter, or there may be an issue with the series terminal connection, or alternatively the incorrect PV wire was used to join the PV panels to the inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    We have a system extremely close to the coast and it is affected with the sea mist causing edge of cloud type effect. The system generally runs around 600Vdc per MPPT and have seen it vary from 500 to 700v during the day .
    Have also noticed that if the incoming voltage goes out of spec that the inverter is sync to and it cuts the current that the voltages rises , also around 100vdc
    There are 3 different types of methods to achieve the MPPT value that I am aware off.
    1. The MPPT circuit will measure every few minutes the Open Circuit Voltage by disconnecting the load from the PV panel, measure, recalculate the new value and apply the new value.
    2. The MPPT circuit will every few minutes short the PV panel, and measure the short circuit current, release the short circuit current, and load the panel, until the current reference value is reached.
    3. An algorithm, know as Perturb and Observe, which continuously loads the panel in small increments, and measures the power value, do this until the power drops from the previous value when loading more, and also unloads the panel until the power decreases from its previous value.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It is good to see that the inverter will record who makes adjustments to the parameters of the inverter.

This becomes important when you are the installer and you give the owner or someone else management rights to the inverter.

We have asituation where the customer is complaining that someone keeps making adjustments to his system.

If someone makes and adjustment and it damages the battery or inverter, especially if you have a 0.5 C 5.1 kwh battery for expample and the owner bumps up the charge and dischage to 100 amp, then tries to blame you for the making the adjustment, at least the adjustments will be reocrded.

This is what I am hoping they are talking about in the latest video.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Understanding the load profiles, simple?

The profiles you see on your laptop or on the app,

Laptop view you get:

Under energy genration (same as the app)

PV, Battery, SOC, Load, Grid

If you go into equipment:

Output (amps), Grid (kw), Load (kw)

What are you measuring?

You have a CT which is generally places on the cable feeding the main switch.

Grid simple - the data recorded from the CT at the main switch.

The question, which reading is the UPS (output/essential supply)

Which is the reading which includes the UPS and the inverter ?

You should be getitng 3 readings:

1/ The grid power (CT) in kw, which measures everything from the grid non essential, inverter and UPS (essential)

2/ The inverter power, including the power used by the inverter, the grid battery charging and UPS (essential)

3/ The UPS/output (essentail supply)

What is the big deal, fistly you need to understand what the capacity of the inverter and if the battery grid charge is part of the inverter size calculation.

You might look at the incorrect reading and think your inverter is drawing way more than it should, but in fact it is just the battery charging.

It will also confuse the crap out of you if you see 5000 watts , but the ups load is only 500 watt, yet the grid is showing 5000 watts, because the geyser is on, and the battery is charging from the grid and the fans are running in the inverter.

Thanks

Not completely true tho

Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Someone I know had Deye installed but says he is going to change the logger to a Synsynk because the Deye has to be controlled by the installer.
    Hi Derlyn - not completely true. IMO - Deye is by far superior to Sunsynk on firmware. Call it "simplistic" - but I believe the firware written by the hardware manufacturer, who has the whole design team to his disposal should always be more reliable than firmware written by a 3rd party (i.e. Sunsynk).

I have installed more than 50 Deye's, ranging from 5kw up to 16kw units, with only 1 inverter ever requiring a firmware update to function.
    With the 15'odd Sunsynks I have installed, I had to request firmware updates for at least 5 of them to function. Issue with display firmware, incorrect parameter saving, non-functioning BMS with approved batteries, etc.

If you want full control of your Deye inverter:
    1. Email Deye at service@deye.com.cn
    2. Include your username and password for your account (you can reset you password after they had access)
    3. Ask them to allow you remote control on you account
    4. 1-2 days later - boom! Done. Full control

Thanks
    Hi all, new to the forum and this is my first post. 😀

Has anyone got the Aux/Smart load port working well with a geyser on the 8kw Sunsynk/Deye?
    So it needs to use excess PV, and battery up to a point, and then just the grid. And blending in that order as well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast