Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain fried

Gold Member
    Thanks

Brain fried

Hello

Having a tough day haha but I saw a DB today where the light circuits where not on earth leakage. Now I flagged that but I am struggling to find the reg that states that lighting circuits must be on earth leakage.

I am begging to think I just made that rule up as can't find anything.

Is it true that lighting circuit does not need to have earth leakage protection ?

Lastly is a water heater a geyser ? I think it is and see it as one but just want to confirm

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Lighting circuits need not be on earth leakage. No such regulation.

Ceiling fans must have an isolator unless supplied through an earth leakage. Most electricians that I know rather wire the lights through earth leakage rather than fitting isolators to ceiling fans.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (27-Jun-22)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ahh hahaha. Glad not gone senile just yet then.

Yes ya the ELU for ceiling fan is one I know of for ELU as well as for when a socket is involved, not 100% sure now but I think if light supplied by a 16A.

None the less appreciate it uncle !

It is a newiah build and the geyser and stove also not on ELU and I don't think a stove coupler was used for the stove hahah.
    Was just hung up on the light circuit.

Thanks
    Geyser must be on ELR.
    Any water heater must be on earth leakage.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Dylboy, wait to you get to our age, a shelf in the office just for SABS green and black books plus all the amendments (which I made the mistake of burning anything older than 10 years) , then a filing cabinet for all the hazardous location regulations. You say you battling to figure out if lights must be on ELU. I assume you havent started your studies to become a master electrician?

Imagine one day you will look back at the industry today and reflect on how it will change in the next 40 years.

When I left school in std 8, started my apprenticeship in 1982, we still had to cut and thread steel pipes to wire up buildings.

I did my trade test as all round electrician, which included everything including a steel pipe fabrication, filing and fault finding.

Now I go to work and for the first time this week, I just threw wires across the roof, clipped it down the wall, broke a hole above the flush box and connected and off to the next job.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Geyser must be on ELR.
    Any water heater must be on earth leakage.
    Yes ya, just wanted to confirm it was a water heater. I felt it was actually a geyser in words in the book but today a lot clearer minded.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hahah I wish I had the older books to refer to to see when what was introduced. Old boss had version 1.7 I think it was of black book so that was cool!

Yeah was reading the regs book as I swore it had to be on ELU then when I could not see it went to the PC to search and then still nothing so thought to rather pose the question.

I think the sockets with lights on ELU had me think that.

Also have a 10month teething baby so sleep is scarce these last few days hahah

But ya not doing masters hahaha. I wanted to but then would need to do some N6 stuff. I try to read a lot of the stuff but struggle to find the specialized standards or material.

Right now my studies and efforts is in overseas stuff.

I wish we had to do the bosal work and the old school way. I feel it meant more as when I did trade it was just PVC...

I worked with Galv pipe when younger with my dad and plumbing but not electrical stuff and these days it's all PVC mostly as that's what clients want and afford.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I enjoy working with bosal pipe, it looks neat and no threading repaired. I did a project at Alsusaf Hillside smelter were I installed a few km of bosal piping. I wish I had a phone back them to take some pics, it was one of those installs which required a lot of planning to prevent cross over, with a lots of bends.

We got more free machines on that project than I have purchased since I started my business , just to give you an idea of how many wall anchors we installed, back in those days I think it was every 10 000 anchors we got a machine.

Thanks
    Another question for this morning, gents.

Busy with a rewire.

Gate motor has been wired with 1,5mm FTE to the lights circuit.

If the gate motor has an isolator and that specific breaker is labelled "lights & gate motor", is it legal ?

Will save on having to lay 2,5mm and wiring to a plug circuit.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    That is incredible ! Wish you had a phone too hahaha.

The bending of bosal is something I like too but do it next to never haha. I have done one 90degree bend....

I am thinking to just buy some lengths and mess around in the garage and try get better at it and master the where I want the bend to be that is where it will be hahaha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast