Thread: How are we going to fix this industry

Platinum Member
    Thanks

How are we going to fix this industry

Let try something different.

How can "we" fix this industry.

Making the industry a hell hole full of strict laws that if broken will result in you loosing your qualifications or business or livelihood, is not the solution.

I believe education is the key to turning this industry around, we need to make the people who work in this industry, proud to be an electrician.

We need more skilled experienced electricians "working" in the industry guiding the younger generation. This is something I have noticed in the past few years, its not that the team member doesn't want to do the work, they actually just dont know how. Yesterday was a good example, I arrived on site after the customer contacted me, there was a very hostile environment as I arrived. By the time we left we were all smiling but more important we had all learnt something.

We need to assist small electrical contractors with educating and training of their staff, I believe this is a huge problem in this industry. If more eleconops were helped to achieve their qualification in a set period of time rather than being exploited by companies.

I believe the ECA has good intentions and without them, this industry would fall apart, so even though it may sound like I dont approve of them, I actually do, like all of us we have our problems and weaknesses, they just need to work on a few issues.

I would also suggest we somehow figue out a way to get more contractors to join the ECA, make it more affordable for the little guys like myself. There is just too much red tape and fees attached to the membership, thats the way I see it and I am sure many others, that's the chatter I hear. Feel free to express your view on this topic.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The SABS was formed to manage and regulate standards essential for a civilised society. Through the NRCS and SANAS they see to it that scales measure what they say they do, the pump at the garage charge you correctly for fuel and that the pressure in your tyres are correct. There are standards for just about anything, safety, health, measurements, the lot. The only problem is that the party of AINT NO CONSEQUENCES have done away with apprenticeships and have introduced a culture of anything goes. (without any consequences).
    People die because of illegal connections, but what do they care with their lawless attitude.

Yes, we can change and fix our country if everyone works together. Stop taking shortcuts and buck the system. Join your industry associations, join the chamber of commerce and any relevant body where you can make your voice heard. Stop accepting sub-standard work. Stop looking the other way when things go wrong. Unmask corruption. Stop abetting corrupt politicians and business people. Do the right thing. Work for a better country and a future for your children.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    Let try something different.

How can "we" fix this industry.

Making the industry a hell hole full of strict laws that if broken will result in you loosing your qualifications or business or livelihood, is not the solution.

I believe education is the key to turning this industry around, we need to make the people who work in this industry, proud to be an electrician.

We need more skilled experienced electricians "working" in the industry guiding the younger generation. This is something I have noticed in the past few years, its not that the team member doesn't want to do the work, they actually just dont know how. Yesterday was a good example, I arrived on site after the customer contacted me, there was a very hostile environment as I arrived. By the time we left we were all smiling but more important we had all learnt something.

We need to assist small electrical contractors with educating and training of their staff, I believe this is a huge problem in this industry. If more eleconops were helped to achieve their qualification in a set period of time rather than being exploited by companies.

I believe the ECA has good intentions and without them, this industry would fall apart, so even though it may sound like I dont approve of them, I actually do, like all of us we have our problems and weaknesses, they just need to work on a few issues.

I would also suggest we somehow figue out a way to get more contractors to join the ECA, make it more affordable for the little guys like myself. There is just too much red tape and fees attached to the membership, thats the way I see it and I am sure many others, that's the chatter I hear. Feel free to express your view on this topic.
    I've had the privilege to have a mentor with 40 years experience under his belt to help me enter this industry after 23 years in IT. For the first time in a long long time I am now enjoying what I'm doing and feel very proud of myself when fixing a problem and "doing the right thing" even if nobody notices. For me it's not for money but for the pleasure of doing something with my hands and head and looking back at the end of a day and being able to see what I have done.

In my opinion this is the ONLY way to bring on new electricians.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_van_Zyl View Post
    I've had the privilege to have a mentor with 40 years experience under his belt to help me enter this industry after 23 years in IT. For the first time in a long long time I am now enjoying what I'm doing and feel very proud of myself when fixing a problem and "doing the right thing" even if nobody notices. For me it's not for money but for the pleasure of doing something with my hands and head and looking back at the end of a day and being able to see what I have done.

In my opinion this is the ONLY way to bring on new electricians.
    I was hoping my son would be interested in electrical, so that I could teach him and let him take over the business. His passion is building suspensions and fitting big engines in cars focusing on the ATD.

I have taken on a few youngsters to give them the opportunity to learn and maybe even take over from me. I havent found the right person yet. The youngsters are too distracted by smart phones and big bucks.

Thanks
    The first step to fixing this and any other industry is to get things right at the ballot box.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dylboy (27-Jun-22)