Thread: Insurance approved contractors

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Insurance approved contractors

I get a request to do an inspection report. The geyser has just been replaced by an "insurance approved contractor."

The wire to the geyser is too short, so it is pulled across the back of the geyser, the earth wire is not even finger tight, the bonding strap is left hanging on the pipe, but not connect to anything, no gland on the electrical cover. The site wasnt just left non compliant, but as a dangerous liability for the customer. I forgot, the customer is liable for the electrical safety so it is up to the customer to get the elctrical connections checked once the insurance contractor is finished?

I get another call to inspect a property because the insurance company requires the property has a valid COC. I am confused.

Please help my little simple brain to understand how this works, you musty have a valid COC for your property to be insured, but the insurance approved contractors dont have to do work to any standard?

What am I missing?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    I get a request to do an inspection report. The geyser has just been replaced by an "insurance approved contractor."

The wire to the geyser is too short, so it is pulled across the back of the geyser, the earth wire is not even finger tight, the bonding strap is left hanging on the pipe, but not connect to anything, no gland on the electrical cover. The site wasnt just left non compliant, but as a dangerous liability for the customer. I forgot, the customer is liable for the electrical safety so it is up to the customer to get the elctrical connections checked once the insurance contractor is finished?

I get another call to inspect a property because the insurance company requires the property has a valid COC. I am confused.

Please help my little simple brain to understand how this works, you musty have a valid COC for your property to be insured, but the insurance approved contractors dont have to do work to any standard?

What am I missing?
    The owner should take your report , invoices and photo's and report it to the insurance company and lodge a compliant with IOPSA ( https://www.iopsa.org )

There are standards and a " Plumbers COC " that they have to complete and hand in to the insurance when the job is complete. Like every industry there will be cowboys and the only way to stop it is report to the associations which will hopefully put a stop to it .
    We can only try

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    The owner should take your report , invoices and photo's and report it to the insurance company and lodge a compliant with IOPSA ( https://www.iopsa.org )

There are standards and a " Plumbers COC " that they have to complete and hand in to the insurance when the job is complete. Like every industry there will be cowboys and the only way to stop it is report to the associations which will hopefully put a stop to it .
    We can only try

It seems to be a common problem, we had a thermal audit done in a factory by an approved company, the items which were flagged as potential hotspots, were certainly not hotspots and the wires which were burnt and bubbling the insulation were not identified. I was told that it had to do with the time of day, and load on the system that they might have missed the burnt wires and circuit breaker. I didnt need my camera to see the burnt components.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    It seems to be a common problem, we had a thermal audit done in a factory by an approved company, the items which were flagged as potential hotspots, were certainly not hotspots and the wires which were burnt and bubbling the insulation were not identified. I was told that it had to do with the time of day, and load on the system that they might have missed the burnt wires and circuit breaker. I didnt need my camera to see the burnt components.
    Tongue in cheek here
    The work brief was to detect hot spots, not do an electrical inspection to find burnt insulation due to thermal occurance.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za