Thread: Definition of distribution board.

Thanks

Definition of distribution board.

Can someone maybe confirm if the definition of a DB has changed.

I have it as follows:

Enclosure that contains electrical equipment for the distribution or control of electrical power from one or more incoming circuits to one or more outgoing circuits.

Derlyn

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    From SANS 10142-1

distribution board

switchboard
    switchgear and controlgear assembly
    enclosure that contains electrical equipment for the distribution or control of
    electrical power from one or more incoming circuits to one or more outgoing
    circuits

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    From SANS 10142-1

distribution board

switchboard
    switchgear and controlgear assembly
    enclosure that contains electrical equipment for the distribution or control of
    circuits
    IF this is the definition of a distribution board ... why do we not refer to the pool DB as a sub DB ... because it is contained a fibre glass cover?

A jacuzzi with a DB would would also be regarded as appliance ?

By law you shouldn't be allowed to run other circuit off these appliances ... like a garden lights ... outbuildings ... gates ... electric fence ... etc?
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    The "pool DB " as long as it supplies pool items only is part of the pool and therefore a motor control centre which is part of the fixed appliance.

An aircon unit has 2 components , usually one inside and the compressor outside - There is wiring in between , and it is a fixed appliance with one supply point . Pool is same principle

If you look at the regs and the definitions - point of consumption is the stop point for electrical installation and the start for the fixed appliance.
    If there was no pool there would be no pool control centre - If you take a garden light or plug then you change the point of consumption.

6.16.1.1 Fixed appliances do not form part of the electrical installation other
    than their positioning in relation to the supply and the wiring carried out
    between different parts of the appliances.

appliance
    machine, tool, device or instrument that is operated by electricity for the
    purpose of doing work, or for providing heat, light or motion, or in which
    electrical energy is modified into another form of energy

electrical installation
    machinery, in or on any premises, that is used for the transmission of electrical
    energy from a point of control (see 3.56) to a point of consumption
    (see 3.55) anywhere on the premises, including any article that forms part of
    such an installation, irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical
    circuit, but excluding

point of consumption
    point of outlet, or the supply terminal of machinery that is not connected to a
    point of outlet and that converts electrical energy to another form of energy,
    provided that in the case of machinery that has been installed for any specific
    purpose as a complete unit, the point of consumption is the supply terminals
    that have been provided on the unit of machinery for that purpose

Thanks
    I think the definition of a DB needs to be looked at and maybe something along the lines of containing overload protection or overcurrent protection devices added because as it stands, I can think of a number of enclosures that fit the definition that are not DB's.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    I think the definition of a DB needs to be looked at and maybe something along the lines of containing overload protection or overcurrent protection devices added because as it stands, I can think of a number of enclosures that fit the definition that are not DB's.
    Went and look at my hardcopy as well and the type is set out in the defination as I pasted further up in the thread.
    There are no full stops or capital letters in between so to me it should read as one sentence .

Have adjusted the spaces - Would that be more in line with your thinking .

distribution board
    switchboard
    switchgear and controlgear assembly enclosure that contains electrical equipment for the distribution or control of
    circuits

Thanks
    A geyser isolator or a light switch fits the above definition perfectly. I know of more.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Something to consider .. .

The pool pump/ motor is not part of the Pool DB.

Generally a pool pump is fitted with a plug top.

In some cases but very few the pump is connected directly to the pool DB.

The light on the other hand is connected inside the pool DB.

When you purchase a DB for a pool ... you request a pool DB ... which is made up of a main switch ... 16 amp mcb ... 6 amp mcb ... a timer and you can request an isolating transformer and the part that complicates things ... a standard 16 amp socket outlet ... a dedicated pool socket and plug top should be used to prevent the gardener the lawnmower or the blower or

I think we can all agree that if a pool DB is located next to the pool pump or within arms reach ... and only used for the application it is designed for the pump and light connection ... we could refer to it as part of the pool.

However unless as GCE has mentioned in a previous thread there is an isolator feeding the pool DB close by ... the pool DB cannot be part of the fixed appliance unless the mains is either in a compartment not accessible to pool guy or in enclosure with the isolator.

The important thing to note ... unless the pool DB can be isolated completely from the mains power ... only qualified electricians should have access to the DB ... or pools should be designed that the pool guy never has to access the pool DB ... dedicated socket should be fitted to the side of the pool DB for the light.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    A geyser isolator or a light switch fits the above definition perfectly. I know of more.
    Light switches normally don't have the neutral going through the box, so the supply and load sides are not complete circuits.

The geyser isolator had me smiling a little. But you might change your mind when you start looking at complying with the specific requirements of a distribution board.