Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pre paid meter require a COC

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It should have been or not and ... you okes are too sharp today

I am trying to get my paper work up to date so that I can go to site ... rushing and all.

I should remove this forum from my work PC and only have it on my Ipad ... which is what I did in the past ... then used tapatalk ... but the ads got the better of me ... so I canned that idea.

This work laptop blocks everything.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Xolani is busy installing meters and I'm playing with the phone.😁😁

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hahaha I have started my own thing as basically retrenched.... so I have quite a bit of time at the moment for the forum hahaha.

In a sticky situation of either look for a job or start a business in which can grow over time.

All this with the longer plan of emigrating in next year or 2....

So thought process is to start own thing so if we don't leave then I have atleast started the busienss now and not in 2 years time haha.

Anyway exciting times ahead...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Xolani is busy installing meters and I'm playing with the phone.
    I need to find me a Xolani hahaha.

Thanks
    @Dylboy

Yep. I'm glad I started specializing in sub metering when I did. That was when these meters first appeared on the market.

It has now become a lekker source of income for me with minimal effort.

Xolani does on average about 4 a day, under my supervision of course and he loves it. He is incentivised with a cash bonus for each one installed, so it is not only lekker for me but for him too.

Life is good.

Edited at 6pm: For anyone thinking of going into prepaid water meter installing, think again.
    A word of caution. The prepaid water meters available at the moment, on average, do not last longer than +- 18 months and then the faults start appearing. They start leaking, displays go blank, valves don't open etc. We have stopped installing them. Too many unhappy clients.

Peace out .. Derek.
    Last edited by Derlyn; 01-Feb-22 at 06:09 PM.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-Feb-22)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    You did well to get into that! I have only done 2 myself and was nice bit of bucks but also the client is HAPPY to pay as they see it as a nice thing to have, is cool and is an asset of sorts... not like when you fix that "critical" socket they want fixed but don't want to pay or groan as " the plug used to work"...

But I see a rise coming with them as well and as Ians said people are sub dividing their homes to rent and times are very tough so it will be more common to install.

And thanks for the heads up on the water meters! I would not venture there my self but good to know none the less as you never know haha

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets try clear this up in simple terms:

If you own a house or simplex or duplex and decide you wan to rent it out ... I would advise you have a council meter installed .. .why ... because then there is no middle man ... no electricity account every month ... no sms or emails ... no meter reader etc etc ... no transferring of funds from one account to another and then still having to pay the electricity every month.

If you decide to move back into your house for a period of time ... you wont be paying a fee and only get a percentage of what you buy ... you could bypass the prepaid ... as I did for an owner a couple days ago.

If you plan to live on the property (the main house with the main DB) and sub let ... a granny flat or a couple buildings on your property ... then you have no option but to use private pre paid meters ( you could mange them yourself and sell the tenant token ... but I dont know if you can still get this type of prepaid) unless you sub divide the property and go that route ... then you can apply for council meters on each part of the property.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Being in the sub metering game brings plenty work.

Ensuring that circuits are split to ensure fairness. That usually involves quite a bit of work if it's a house split up into seperate rooms.

Then there's the hot water issue. Doesn't work if there's only 1 geyser. Each unit must have it's own hot water source. Our record so far is 6 electric geysers in a house on timers so as to allow only 1 geyser to be on at any particular time.

Fitting the sub meter is the quickest and easiest part of the job. Its the other work that takes the time and makes the money.

Seperating the water supplies is also more work. As I mentioned in another post, we have stopped fitting the water meters supplied by ARB and On Tap etc. They are unreliable. Busy looking out for an alternative at the moment.

Enjoying my mid week break today. It's a scorcher.

Peace out .. Derek Stuart.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234