Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PV green card

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    Also interested in doing it next year.

What are the actual laws at the moment with regards to whom can install a solar system?
    I have seen a few installs happen and in my opinion there is no real form of training or regulation structure. Bearing in mind the Sans book for PV is still out for comment or what ever it is.

Basically i am wondering what stops the home owner from doing it all himself or even an electrician with no "PV qualification" ? Are their laws against any Joe soap doing it?
    Or is it a law of insurance where the insurance will not cover your house if not installed by a qualified person and with that what is the standard for a "PV qualification"?who decides who is a qualified PV installer ? Is it a PQRS certificate, a PV green Card from Green Solar or what is there some other form factor ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Besides OHSA as pointed out by Derlyn , Annex M on page 340 of SANS 10142-1 , stipulates that an Installation or Master Electrician needs to certify DC work
    Single phase tester cannot

2. Thanks given for this post:

ians (08-Nov-21)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Ah yes Annex M, thank you !

Now with all these sort of Regs and laws we need to educate everyone. There needs to be a drive that the client knows to ask these such questions and ask for certificates.

I don't think this will ever happen and best is to do the whole "you do you" and if you can sleep comfy at night then that what matters.

Its tough though to lose jobs to un qualified or not fully qualified persons due to price. But in the end you get what you pay for.

But more to the topic of Ians on PV green card I believe it is a step in the right direction. will do more research on it next year and I do want to do it none the less.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    As I wish another good qualified electrician goodbye ... off to the UK ... I suppose that is the plan is to get rid of as many of the skilled people.

He leaves on Monday.

A week ago it was another mate (not electrical) but highly skilled and "experienced" inhis line of work.

All I keep hearing from everyone how stupid I am with all my skills to stick around in this dark shyte hole.

I want to stay and share my experience ... but if I cant keep up with the cost of living ... the fuel bill increases and the load shedding ... causing more problem than not with my electronic stuff at home and on sites ... having to sit for 2 hours on site while we wait for the power to come back on.

Lets not even go into the crime rate increasing in our area again ... there has been a spike in house invasions "AGAIN".

they say the grass is not greener on the other side .. but for F%^& sakes the grass is burning on this side.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    100% agreed, I now have 5 differnet mates and their wifes in the UK now over the last 4 years, last month a pair left, then I have another mate who is getting ready to duck but his misus got a good work roll so may hang a bit and then the rest of them all have the pass book so they waiting for the shit to hit the fan then they on the next flight.

My missus is working back maternity leave and then we are looking as once more all her friends are there her sister and her family including new born.

For me the writing is on the wall and at a blink of an eye everyone I know will be there, already 80% are.

I spend a lot of time learning UK regs and methods as I believe it is superior but also for the inevitable move.

But I am still trying to do everything I can here of what I want to do just incase we the only sods left in the country and cant move then at least I can keep the food on the table (if even possible in the next 10 years)

For me it is a reality, the grass is green where you water it but my grass is now a desert and forkoil can grow no matter how much i wet it.

Very sad...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylboy View Post
    For me it is a reality, the grass is green where you water it but my grass is now a desert and forkoil can grow no matter how much i wet it.
    Its not the amount of water that the the problem, if you give it too much fertilizer you also kill the grass off. Currently we are being over whelmed by the fertilizer being strewn
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Its not the amount of water that the the problem, if you give it too much fertilizer you also kill the grass off. Currently we are being over whelmed by the fertilizer being strewn
    Very true! I like that analagy. We put in a lot of effort where there is no return but eles where the same effort reaps reruns.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    My question ... maybe I am out of line with my comments ... please feel free to correct me ... but are all the member of this ass. :

Registered with the department of labour as electrical contractors...

Registered licensed electricians...

With the correct electrical qualifications and years of experience in the electrical industry.

or do you just do a 5 days course and you are a fully compliant installer?
    I like the term used in SANS, he must be "competent" as described in the glossary of terms.

Thanks
    As far as I know , and please correct me if I am wrong , Only Installation electricians and Master Electricians are allowed to do a COC on a solar system , an electrical Tester for Single Phase cannot issue such a certificate. The reason being the DC and AC need to be tested , and a Tester for Single Phase does not have the DC qualifications to do it. It also entails the splitting of the AC and DC Circuits and the Solar string installation

Thats all I have to say for now

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Sellers of inverters cover their backs by saying a qualified person must install the system. The rest is not important.
    The qualified person is any person that did a course on that product. Currently, there are no DOL-recognized qualifications in South Africa for PV installers.
    Currently, my wife can go on a PV course and install PV systems, but the law says she is not allowed to do it, does that make sense?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    You pretty screwed if you buy and install a product like Sunsynk and dont use a Sunsynk approved installer, purchased from a supplier with a service centre, it makes no difference if the installer is an IE or MIE or a ECSA approved engineer, if not a Sunsynk approved installer there no 5 or 10 year warranty.

It's not that simple, if your installer was approved, and now not on the list attached below, your 5/10 year warranty is also no longer valid, you might as well take the warranty and sqaush it into a nice small tight ball and use it wipe backside. There is going to be a lot of very unhappy Sunsynk customers when they check the list and cant find thier installers name on the attached list.

I dont think we are just talking about a few thousand, more like a few hundred thousand, going back to when most installations where done by the DIY community who got the Sunsynk name to where it is now, this the thanks they get from Sunsynk

If you have a Sunsynk product installed on your property, I would suggest you check this list and the name on your warranty document which was emailed to you after it was registered.

https://www.sunsynk.org/approvedinstallers

You would have received a document which looks like this. Check the first 3 line of the document and see if the name on the document is listed on the attachement above. If not, I would suggest you contact your installer and find out who is going to cover the 10 year warranty.

https://www.sunsynk.org/warranty

I do believe Sunsynk have just dropped a pile of installers in the same place you going throw the warranty form.

This is one of the reason I will be moving away from Sunsynk, they have got too big and no longer feel the need to support the little guys or Diyer anymore

I dont know if Deye are going to do the same thing to all the customers who support them, maybe its going to be better to just to go to Victron or one of the other inverter brands and pay the little extra.

Soalr edge is anotehr comany which has a really good name in other parts of the world who are way ahead of us her ein SA.
    Thank goodenss for ther drop in load shedding, it has certainly made an impact on the prices stock availablity and the sales. I was chatting to a sales person on Friday, because I noticed ther wasnt a que like there has been for a while, they indicate dthat the sales have dropped from around 10 units per day, to barely 1 a week.

I got the latest rpices from Ellies last week and the 5 kw inverter price have dropped below R20 000, batteries are down around R6000. We were selling 5 kwh batteries for R35/6 000, now they going for less than R28 000 and dropping by the week. It has nothing to do with the exchange rate.
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast