Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOw much for a COC

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Morning brother

No incoming earth from Municipality should not be a problem.
    Here in East London, there are whole suburbs where no Municipal earth is supplied ( 2 wire overhead supply )
    We hit in an earth spike, do an earth loop impedance test and away you go.

Peace out .. Derek
    It was TN-S Earthing system - just another poor joint in the road. I could see the feeder cabinet (open) and test was good there. I get it a lot in Joburg.

Poor standard or work by the guys on the municipality side. Especially in Rose bank area. Last 3 properties I went to (including some large commercial instals) no incoming earth. Get them out - not connected at pole, bad joint - usual....

Anyway I just don't trust earth spikes.... Its like the drum disk of the brake world - old way of doing it.

If have a R10 million house with TT earthing it feels like putting drum disks on a Ferrari. Bit.... rubbish.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Social media is such a powerful tool ... it should be used to fix the industries problem ... it we dont do it nobody will.

In saying that ... sometime just talking to the right person can make a huge impact on the results of problem.

We need to start helping the ones who want help and scratching out the ones who are an embarrassment to the industry.

I dont believe every electrician and every inspectors goes out day by day trying to destroy this industry ... some just need a little guidance.

I am a master electrician and been hands on in this industry for many many years ... the list of projects I have been involved in range from installing a single socket outlet in a house to massive project like Alusaf ... RBM ... COC's in hospitals ... theatres ... sugar mills ... spray booths ... panel design and automation ... safety systems for machines ... you name it ... I can even think of all the projects I have done there are so many ... I have worked all over SA and neighbouring countries.

But let me tell you a little secret ... the more I learn the more I realise how little I know ... we all make mistakes and nobody knows everything ... but we need to at try make it right ... dont let the almighty rand control your life and dont let people bully you in making bad decisions.

Some mornings I wake up and realise I have forgotten something silly like a plastic bag on a PEC ... what I do is go back and make it right.

Running a small electrical business is not an easy task ... and as you grow ... the challenge just grows with you ... the overheads get out of hand ... your commitment to your staff and making sure they have work is a huge challenge ... come end of the year ... leave pay and bonuses turn into sleepless nights.

My point ... we have enough challenges in this industry dont be the Ahole who makes it more difficult for the rest of us.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets fix this industry ... lets get this COC story right.

Make the public aware of the procedure ...

It is simple ... you want to sell your house ?

You need a inspection report first ... what is the cost to carry out an inspection report ... number of DB's ... number of points etc ... make sure the customer is aware that the inspection report is not a COC.

A report and quote is submitted for any repairs ... correctly laid out with SANS regulation violations and detailed locations of the equipment which requires attention.

If not then the cost to issue a COC document is R XXX ... the public must be made aware of the procedure.

The problem with the industry has a lot to do with the lack of understanding of how the inspection report system works ... once they understand a central data base should be setup with every single COC issue can be viewed.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Lets fix this industry ... lets get this COC story right.

Make the public aware of the procedure ...

It is simple ... you want to sell your house ?

You need a inspection report first ... what is the cost to carry out an inspection report ... number of DB's ... number of points etc ... make sure the customer is aware that the inspection report is not a COC.

A report and quote is submitted for any repairs ... correctly laid out with SANS regulation violations and detailed locations of the equipment which requires attention.

If not then the cost to issue a COC document is R XXX ... the public must be made aware of the procedure.

The problem with the industry has a lot to do with the lack of understanding of how the inspection report system works ... once they understand a central data base should be setup with every single COC issue can be viewed.
    And all debatable issues with an industry resolution.How many cables in a gland? When must geyser be on earth leakage etc etc

Thanks
    @firepool

If you have a copy of SANS 10142-1 you will read that ALL water heating devices must be on earth leakage. When the regs say all, it means all.
    No debate needed.

Cable glands are manufactured for a specific cable.
    No debate needed.

I've learn't not to listen to what your buddies say. Rather just follow the regs.

When I say regs, ..... I mean the following

a. SANS 10142-1
    b. Occupational health and safety act, 1993 Electrical Installation Regulations
    c. Component manufacturer specifications
    d. By laws of the electrical supplier ( Munic or Eskom )

If you follow the above, you can't go wrong.

Peace out .. Derek

Thanks
    Derek,so every time you do a coc you put the geyser on earth leakage as per the regs?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepool View Post
    Derek,so every time you do a coc you put the geyser on earth leakage as per the regs?
    Yes.

Sometimes I install a separate earth leakage for the geyser only. It's not necessary, but a nice to have.
    The reason I say sometimes is it depends if there's enough space in the DB.

Peace out .. Derek.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Fit an ASC at the same time

6.16.2 is good place to start reading.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You need to understand one thing ... there is a lot of money to be made doing COC's ... too much confusion in the industry and very little policing ... the chances of getting caught for filling out forms (which are suppose to be a legal document) is so slim ... customers couldn't be bothered with having to pay for an investigation ... I can tell you from experience of lets say 100 investigation 100 have never gone further than calling for a second opinion ... 100 % of the cases are eventually just repaired by the new owners electrician or just laughed off the whole COC ... they dont care so long as the stuff works.

Thanks
    Not denying that is in the latest regs under 6.16.2 .My point is that if you were to ask 5 sparkies on how to apply it to an old install(say before 2013) you would get different answers as most would say new geysers must be on earth leakage with own earth leakage.If there is no space in the board and you put the hwc on earth leakage ,good luck going out at night cause house has no power(maybe lights) as earth leakage is tripping due to the hwc being put on it.The company doing the coc will struggle to their reputation back from that .That is my point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.