Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coc for new electrical installation

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    It never that simple, the fact that you talking about work not done but require a COC, could mean that the work not done is included in the COC, hence the reason he has not issued you the COC. You need to explain a little better.

To give you an idea, I went to a house to do a test report, repairs then issued a COC, 2 months later I got a call form a lawyer who informed me that parts of the installtion that I had signed off was non compliant.

From that statement I would be the bad electrician woh issues COC's without making everything compliant, yes I was at fault.

Why would a person like me issue a non complaint COC, simple I got caught by the electrical contractor who was living in the house. While doing the test report I identified all the non compliant parts, made a list, part of the list was all the security lights around the building wired in twin flex. When I got the call from the lawyer, I knew straight away what had happened. The electrical contractor indicated that all the security lights and a few other non compliant wires hanging on the building belonged to him, he indicated that he was going to take all the lights and wiring with him when he left. Both times I returned to site and replaced all the wiring at my cost.

So tell us the whole story, why he is not issuing the COC and why you not paying, or better still ask him to respond to this post and tell his side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmal View Post
    Hi Gents

I agree and feel for your situation of non payments.

Now not being an electrician myself, but having had work done I am asking for your advice.

The electrician that did the work at my house refuses to issue a COC for the following reason that he wants me to pay him for work he did not do and I refuse to pay for work that was not done.

I paid him him for the work done including the cost of the COC that was supposed to be issued.

Am I wrong to withhold monies for the work that he did not do?
    And what is my recourse?
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Madmal (07-Aug-23)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Had a recent thing with a solar install. 8 million Rand house. Did a few basic tests before starting and looked pretty good. Did solar install, 2 days (long days) for inverter, batteries and panels. Came to do CoC. From then the kak started. The circuit charts were just made up, nothing matched. Took an age to find everything (4 DB boards) Then started testing... Lots of little things. We spent another 2 days just fixing bits and pieces and then just said - enough.

Our inverter install - happy to sign off - 100% sure any AIA inspector or ECA inspector would be happy with it. Rest of his house - no. Now the client has paid, so no problem there, but I can't sign the CoC as his house still has problems. I'm informed I'm supposed to sign off the whole house if there is no existing CoC. I still don't know how the DOL want us to MAKE the client pay for non compliant items. We can only advise. Where do electricians stand in these cases.
    Is it my job to test and inspect a VERY big 6 bedroom, 7 bathroom, 2 office, man cave etc.... house before we do a small job?
    No, not realistic. Am I in the clear if I just sign of my work and comment on what is not covered (including noting that I advised the client of non compliant issues).
    If not - then this system can not work.

We have to be able to do a COC to cover OUR work. We can not make a client do have a CoC on a whole house if they don't want to pay?

Its a stupid system. We get into kak for not issuing a CoC (because its just not compliant) and we get in Kak if we issue a dodgey one.

Also we a problem recently when I got called back to a job I did. They were selling the place and there was no incoming earth on a TN-S when the other electrician was testing. Everything else was 100%. It was good reading when I was there when I tested, fortunately had photos of the reading from way back (just lucky I didn't have a pen on me at the time so took pics of readings before writing them down).

If there was a problem at that place who would get the blame. Not my fault the municipality did a poor job on a cable joint but sure I would get the blame if someone got shocked.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Another question about the COC
    If it was new work a coc how can a contractor issue a coc for work not done under his general control and supervision?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Another regulation that you just have to smile when people bring it up

You could also ask the question, then how do you issue a COC for the sale of a property?

Quote Originally Posted by Thys LOW Elektries View Post
    If it was new work a coc how can a contractor issue a coc for work not done under his general control and supervision?
    Comments are my opinion, unless regulations are attached to support the comment. This is social media, not a court room.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    It never that simple, the fact that you talking about work not done but require a COC, could mean that the work not done is included in the COC, hence the reason he has not issued you the COC. You need to explain a little better.

To give you an idea, I went to a house to do a test report, repairs then issued a COC, 2 months later I got a call form a lawyer who informed me that parts of the installtion that I had signed off was non compliant.

From that statement I would be the bad electrician woh issues COC's without making everything compliant, yes I was at fault.

Why would a person like me issue a non complaint COC, simple I got caught by the electrical contractor who was living in the house. While doing the test report I identified all the non compliant parts, made a list, part of the list was all the security lights around the building wired in twin flex. When I got the call from the lawyer, I knew straight away what had happened. The electrical contractor indicated that all the security lights and a few other non compliant wires hanging on the building belonged to him, he indicated that he was going to take all the lights and wiring with him when he left. Both times I returned to site and replaced all the wiring at my cost.

So tell us the whole story, why he is not issuing the COC and why you not paying, or better still ask him to respond to this post and tell his side of the story.
    Hi Isetech

Thank you for your response. Let me elaborate.

As per the invoice the new instillations relate to:
    1: The addition of 2 light switches and 4 power sockets to the bathroom and gym.
    2: Adding 2 power points in the living and sitting rooms.
    3: Changing of light switches and power sockets around the house.
    4: Removal of redundant wires in the ceiling.
    5: Inspecting the electrical work of the workshop which is an out building.
    6: Issuing of COC for the work of new lights and power sockets. (1,2)

Now I have paid in full for points 1,2,3 and 6
    Points 4 and 5 is the work that was not done. and this is the payment I have withheld.

Then recently it was discovered that point 1 is drawing its power directly from the geyser power supply. I have not yet even raised this as an issue but I did notify the electrician of this.

I have tried to speak to the electrician, who "agreed" to put our heads together to sort this out. However it has become apparent that the electrician has no interest in resolving this matter.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Communication is key, once the communication breaks it becomes a lost cause.

Lets start with the initial COC, do you have one for the entire property?

Is the electrcian a registered elctrical contractor with the DOL?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isetech View Post
    Communication is key, once the communication breaks it becomes a lost cause.

Lets start with the initial COC, do you have one for the entire property?

Is the electrcian a registered elctrical contractor with the DOL?
    Yes we bought this property last year and have a valid COC for the pre-existing property.

The electrician is registered with the DOL and is not a small one man band.

Thanks
    Small one man bands can also be registered with DOL.

I am one.

Thanks
    It is often small one man bands that do a better job than larger companies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    It is often small one man bands that do a better job than larger companies.
    I feel you Derlyn,

I myself am a one man band in my craft and take more pride in my work than larger company's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast