I have had two regular clients who have died from COVID-19 infection in the last 2 days.
I have had numerous instances of regular clients who have been infected with COVID-19.
I have had numerous instances of regular clients who have experienced severe financial harm arising from the changes in business the pandemic has caused.
Locally I have seen the Durban North branch of FNB and the Durban North Post Office closed "due to unforseen circumstances", which it seems is becoming code for "we have had a COVID-19 infection incident and are closed until we have done what needs to be done to reopen."

This pandemic is serious.
And personally, I don't think South Africa has done a particularly good job of dealing with it.

Based on Worldometers:
South Africa ranks 25th in the order of most populous nations.
We are now in the top 5 when it comes to total reported infections.
We are number 4 when it comes to new infections.

What is most telling has been the relentless growth in new cases. From Mediahack:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA-new-case-growth-vs-others.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	7935

OK. There has been some levelling off over the last 10 days. But check what has happened to testing volumes before we start reading too much into that just yet...

Just like with HIV, we are punching way above our weight.

And yet despite this all, I was standing in a queue to get into a shop this morning with the guy behind me right up my ass, with his face mask off and talking loudly into his cellphone - to the point I could feel flecks of spittle landing on my ear.

Fellow South Africans - WTF!!

What does it take to get serious about this pandemic in our country?