We are experiencing problems with "sensitive" electronic equipment.

I read an article the other day which indicates that an over voltage can reduce the lifespan of a piece of equipment by as much as 50 %... Eskom decided many years ago to increase the voltage in SA from 380/220 - 230 400... i have never thought much of it ... until it is time to replace fault LED lights etc... suddenly that 50 000 hours they offer does not apply to SA.

Then we loose a power supply feeding a VSD in a machine and the "technician" indicates a replacement cost of around R80 000 ...now you have my attention... the machine technician is telling my customer that all his drives and power supplies are only going to last around 5 years ...' (some of the machines are already 10 years old ands til working fine) because the factory voltage is sitting at over 400 VAC... I indicated that the machine should be able to tolerate at least a 10 % fluctuation in the voltage ...lets say the machine is old and has a 380/220 transformer... the voltage should be able to vary from 380 to around 341 - 418 max.

First question ...how bad is the 230 VAC compared to 220 VAC?

I see products being offered to consumers to extend the life of their equipment by offering a stable 220 volts supply via a device used to "stabilize" the power.

The second question ...is it the 230 VAC causing the problem with the equipment or the unstable power supply we have in SA... I am yet to see a stable 230 VAC supply on my fluke 435 ...more dips to as low as 135 VAC than a stable 230 VAC ... some recordings vary for 230 down to 190 up to 250.

A site in Durban we have had to bypass the trip connect because the unstable voltage keeps dropping the contactor out (below 180 volts) yes we have had the electricity department arrive with a duspol tester and indicate the power is on... in that situation i did just smile and walk away.

The third question...who is responsible for equipment required to create a stable power supply... if you buy your electricity supply from a property management company (who bills you every month) are they responsible for the power or as they indicate ...they just manage the account ...or is it Durban electricity department... when we start having equipment fail at a huge cost ...who pays the repair bill?