Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrical nightmares

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I get a call from a customer (i have been doing work for more than 15 years) the new boiler maker had got his mate to connect a machine... and had told the customer that whoever was doing their electrical was an idiot and had no idea what they were doing... wow not lets have a look at what might be wrong ...straight the sparkie is an idiot.

I get in my vehicle and drive to site... i am only human ...maybe i did make a mistake... imagine that ...he had the machine connected to a 3 phase orange 4 wire (not 5 wire)plug with no neutral ...so to create a neutral ...he connected the earth to the neutral point to create a neutral ...because some of us do actually use 3 phase earth leakage units on our 3 phase sockets ...there was no way on this earth that you could switch on the earth leakage ...even with all the circuit breakers off ...if you switch off the main switch it will reset ...however as soon as you switch the main switch on ...the earth leakage will trip... i pointed out the problem did a temp connection to show them it would work if wired correctly with the neutral and earth not connected ... i used a 5 pin plug and imagine that the new machine ran without a problem
    Last edited by ians; 30-Jan-20 at 06:08 PM.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Derlyn View Post
    Hi Dave

1. I have never in my 41 year career as electrician come across an earth leakage tripping as a result of an earthed neutral without any current through the live.
    If i were you i would get a piece of 3 core cabtyre with a plug top... put a connector on the live wire so that it is safe ...join the neutral and earth together...plug the plug top into a socket where you know the earth leakage trips at around 25 mA and come back and tell us what happens.

I would bet all my punctured bicycle tubes that there is no way on this earth that you will be able to reset the earth leakage unit with the main switch turned on ...even with the plug socket switch turned off and all the circuit breakers turned off...in fact i dont know why the clever sparkie they used to trick the fella interfered with the integrity of the electrical installation by creating a fault... he basically made the COC if there was one for that property invalid...unless he repaired it tested it again and added a supplement COC... if you can switch on the earth leakage then you have an even bigger problem ...best you get a loop impedance tester and start checking where you have an earthing issue.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Platinum Member
    Thanks

1. I have never in my 41 year career as electrician come across an earth leakage tripping as a result of an earthed neutral without any current through the live.
    I find it difficult that you could not have come across that scenario in 41 years - We come across it weekly -
    Is also the quickest and quietest way to find a circuit in a commercial type environment , just short neutral and earth , reduces the amount of CB that you need to look for in a bigger DB .

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've asked the KZN Regional Director about this Friday last week.

I'll ask her to check with all the RDs and the Contractual Committee.
    I believe that figure given by ECA was a thumb suck type figure to get to something - Mark up's vary according to contract size and desperation to win tenders and can vary from 1 % to 50% and higher when you come across Andy's situation - The tender course offered by ECA tries to teach the guys how to work out a mark up and what to take into account with regards to risks and unforeseen.

If somebody phones ECA and ask the question - "I am submitting a tender how much must I mark up " then 20% could be a safe number to throw out there with the statement "depends on the circumstances ".

If ECA had said 50% in the interview everybody would be shouting rip off , and likewise if he had said 3 % everybody would have shouted madness - 20 % seems to have attracted a bit high and others saying a bit low - Everybody prices differently , some say mark up to cover incidentals and profit , others price a mark up for incidentals and GBA , and still add profit.

I have heard of bigger MIE contractors complain because labour gets marked up by 90% whereas they would add 25 cents per person to cover admin, 50 cents for profit - If you work in small teams of 2 or 3 you need to mark up labour by 300% to cover lost time

Different horses for different courses

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Interesting... so i have customers who buy their own material ...I just do the install.

This year i will be increasing my hourly rate by an additional 10 % for those customers...actually busy with it right now ...maybe 10 % is too low....what are your thoughts ...am i being unreasonable?

There is an advantage to not supplying materials...you dont have to carry the warranty ...ie the product breaks ...they pay your full rate for you to remove and replace the item.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    I find it difficult that you could not have come across that scenario in 41 years - We come across it weekly -
    Is also the quickest and quietest way to find a circuit in a commercial type environment , just short neutral and earth , reduces the amount of CB that you need to look for in a bigger DB .

I did a COC inspection and testing on an installation today.

It was an unoccupied flat. I love those. No need to move furniture etc to get to socket outlets.

Tested all socket outlets with earth leakage tester. Earth leakage tripping on 25mA. In order.

Only the plugs are on earth leakage on this installation.

I then turned off the plugs circuit breakers, shorted the earth leakage neutral bar to earth and the earth leakage relay refused to trip.

Is there anyone who can explain to me why ?

I'm willing to learn.

Cheers and peace out ... Derek

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Interesting... so i have customers who buy their own material ...I just do the install.

This year i will be increasing my hourly rate by an additional 10 % for those customers...actually busy with it right now ...maybe 10 % is too low....what are your thoughts ...am i being unreasonable?

There is an advantage to not supplying materials...you dont have to carry the warranty ...ie the product breaks ...they pay your full rate for you to remove and replace the item.
    Hi Ians, I agree with you about charging the customer more when they supply the materials, because you will still end up wasting your time on making spares lists in your own time, and you will probably end up supplying that extra, ferrule, lug, or brother labels. Because if you have to go around and having to request these things your 4hour quoted job can become a 8hours wasted time. Also these type of customers are normally the ones who show you the other electricians quotes and offer you the job if you can beat that price. That to me is unethical but for these guys its normal bussiness.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post

We generally don't work unless we are supplying material , especially domestic type installations as you tend to lose time waiting for materials or the wrong items where bought because it was cheaper.
    Sometimes on bigger capital items we will allow it to slide.

Any time we do work without supplying material, I still work the price out including material , to get a feel for the job and also see what the percentages look like between labour , material , mark up and profit.
    I then deduct the cost of material off my price so that I least still make the material mark up

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have experienced this fault before. I have tested this before by shorting the neutral and earth, and it did trip my ELB
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I did a COC inspection and testing on an installation today.

It was an unoccupied flat. I love those. No need to move furniture etc to get to socket outlets.

Tested all socket outlets with earth leakage tester. Earth leakage tripping on 25mA. In order.

Only the plugs are on earth leakage on this installation.

I then turned off the plugs circuit breakers, shorted the earth leakage neutral bar to earth and the earth leakage relay refused to trip.

Is there anyone who can explain to me why ?

I'm willing to learn.

I would suspect that the distance the DB is from the transformer may play a part in this. The closer to the transformer the less likely to trip.
    It may also be influenced by other loads/DBs connected to the transformer before the ELB under test.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast