Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home automation

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Home automation

I have been tinkering with some home automation...i am glad i didnt jump in with both feet...man there are a lot of options.

So what i plan to do is go through the process set by step....learn as i go.

Starting with the power supply ...no power no automation.

What do we need to start... firstly we need to decide what we are going to connect to the circuit and how long will it run the system

What are we gona need.

A solar panel
    An inverter (pure sine wave)
    A battery or 2
    A circuit with blue dedicated plugs for the essential services only.

the next step is to decide what is going to be regarded as essential services...so that we can decide on the power requirements

The gate...which has a battery backup (but will also be on the circuit for additional backup)
    The garage Door (also has a backup battery ...but because the motor is run from the battery...it just needs a charge.)
    The adsl/fibre router.
    The alarm system (also has a backup battery ...so just power to the charger will be required.)
    The outside security lights will also be on the dedicated circuit.
    The CCTV system (no backup battery at this point)
    The TV and lite box.
    An led light in each room which can be activated via the alarm app...(controlled via a central relay system...which can be manually bypassed if the system fails)
    Door locks which will also have dead bolts which can be manually opened with a key.

All the lights around the house will be operated via the alarm PIR sensors and day/night sensors.

Things i need to take into consideration:

The location of the system to prevent long cable runs.

Roof space and heat... I am considering building a small room/cabinet in the ceiling space to house all the equipment ...taking into account the 50 temp at midday...so thermal insulation around the space... then ventilation.

type of equipment to use...for example do i just stick to a standard router or do i split it : a dedicated router - switches/poe switches - WiFi access points etc

Time to go to work ...to be continued.

Some of the biggest challenges will be trying to find SABS certified equipment.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Next step... automation

Do i start small and learn basic C++ or do i learn python and go raspberry pi... looking at cost and capabilities... arduino has a massive library...so it might be easy to just wing it and copy as i need.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Each room will have a low profile box in a practical location ...containing relays and equipment required for the home automation...you will be able to access the junction box from the roof space or the room below.

The LED on the box will also be fed from the (blue) dedicated circuit.

The box will be hinged so that it can suspend from the ceiling and all the component will be accessible ...the reason for this... so that you dont have to climb in the roof every time you need to check components or carry out test.

Thanks
    Hi Ians

Following this post with interest.

Please keep us informed as you progress.

Thanks in advance.

Derek

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Each room will have a low profile box in a practical location ...containing relays and equipment required for the home automation...you will be able to access the junction box from the roof space or the room below.

The LED on the box will also be fed from the (blue) dedicated circuit.

The box will be hinged so that it can suspend from the ceiling and all the component will be accessible ...the reason for this... so that you dont have to climb in the roof every time you need to check components or carry out test.
    Are you going to fit them Google / Amazon / Apple / Facebook boxes that listen to everything you say and report it to their respective human PERVs.....?

I am not connecting anything in my house to the internet that can automatically transmit voice or video. All my PCs and Android devices have very very serious firewalls on them.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Are you going to fit them Google / Amazon / Apple / Facebook boxes that listen to everything you say and report it to their respective human PERVs.....?

I am not connecting anything in my house to the internet that can automatically transmit voice or video. All my PCs and Android devices have very very serious firewalls on them.
    No voice activated devices or cctv inside the house.

However every device (phone...tablet etc) has a camera and mic... after watching a few videos on hacking... you are a fool if you think nobody has access to your devices ... even worse these wi fi cameras people use as kiddie monitors etc.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have been putting some thought into the area around the house ...especially the windows we leave open at night... i have been renovating old houses which we strip completely and i mean completely ...i have a pile of old alarm systems which i have figued out how to default and program... I am going to use one of the systems to monitor movement outside my windows... it will not be connected to the alarm company ...just a buzzer which will sound if there is any movement...for the cost of a couple of rolls of 6 pair alarm wire... sorted.

The camera system is up and running... connected to the network... so cool ...instead of having to go look at the monitor to see what is happening around the house... every device in the house has access to the cameras... now when i sit in my office ...i dont have to get up to go open the gate for the staff in the morning... i can be sitting on my porcelain throne or anywhere on the property... open the gate from the device while viewing the cameras and make sure the dogs dont run out the gate.
    Last edited by ians; 29-Oct-19 at 07:07 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just in case you think you have nothing to worry about with regards to personal information... watch the interviews with Edward Snowden ...you think your phone is switched off in a cupboard.

After watching these interviews ...you gona feel like there is a stalker watching your house... but in reality they are siting right next to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFns39RXPrU

After watching these interviews... do you still want a cheap R299 wifi camera watching your new born ...recording everytime your wife goes through in the early hours of the mornings to pop out her breasts to feed the little person... ... google connect... siri ... alexa recording every single "what you think is private conversations" in your own home... just stop take a 2 second break from all your devices and think about it.

With all this info in mind ...we can continue with the design process.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Next step... automation

Do i start small and learn basic C++ or do i learn python and go raspberry pi... looking at cost and capabilities... arduino has a massive library...so it might be easy to just wing it and copy as i need.
    Hi ians, why not use smaller PLC like Siemens LOGO 8 or even S7-1200? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCEZnr3cG8g

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan.S View Post
    Hi ians, why not use smaller PLC like Siemens LOGO 8 or even S7-1200? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCEZnr3cG8g
    Thanks will look into it... i have a mate who works for Siemens ...and he works in automation ... i needed a VSD a couple of weeks ago ...in the past the starting price was around R4k now you you can pick them up for a faction of that price.

Just a heads up for anyone following this thread... i am learning and building as i go... any suggestions for easier cheaper methods would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast