Generally speaking a tradesman ...is a person who has spent a couple of years in a training centre... has also spent a couple of years in the field doing practical training...then to tech for the theory side ...then completed a trade test test to verify if he/she is suitably qualified to perform tasks in part of the electrical field...and as in my case studied further and completed a few night classes for the tech qualification ...spent a few more years getting experience to qualify as an installation electrician... then back to night classes at tech to complete my master electrician course and then again spent a few more years getting experience to qualify to apply to become a master electrician...who can not only work on ...but also carry out inspections on literally anything that has power.

A semi skilled...is a person who is in training...just another means to an end goal...to become a tradesman.

A technician... is a person who has completed a few "days" of training for a specific product which allows them to work on that specific product....as an example ...i am also a way over qualified "technician" done all the training on alarm systems...cctv...gate installations...fire alarm systems... PLC's you name i have a file full of certificates...for all the one day/week courses.

The phrase technician is too widely used... i am sure there are highly qualified and skilled technicians...in a specific field...feel free to add.

This is what i see on a daily basis:

guy fixes the gate...sends a bill for R450 per hour for a "technician" to fix the gate or another example...(require a couple of days training) customer doesnt blink to pay the bill.

a semi skilled to install a few lights R450 per hour...(skills required a couple weeks training)the customer wines about the bill.

a qualified plumber or electrician fixes something @ R500 ...(a couple of years training) the customer has a heart attack because the rate is so high.

My point of this post ...stop insulting qualified tradesmen by wining about their bills...make a point of verifying the skill level of the person working at your property and pay the man his value...you are paying for his qualifications and experience.

To all the tradesman out there stop selling your short...doctors dont bat an eyelid charging the rates they charge for you to drive to them... because they spent 5-7 years training...yet a tradesman feels bad to charge R500 per hour for 3- 5 years training.