Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
The only time i have ever heard of a person being arrested at the airport for an outstanding debt...he had an accident which resulted in a huge repair bill to the other drivers vehicle...he left the country for a couple of years and decided to come back to visit his parents...as he arrived he was arrested and had to pay the outstanding debt and fees etc before they released him.

This is the reason it is never a good idea to use personal assests as surety for a business...and why banks love giving huge personal loans (way beyond your means),,,because they know they can take your R500k house you the R5 k debt you owe them.

If there is a warrant out for your arrest or contempt of court they will arrest you.
Thanks ians. Hopefully the person you heard of being arrested at the airport for an outstanding debt, was arrested many years ago when South Africa still had a draconian law (see above post - ominous Latin name: 'Arrest tanquam suspectus de fuga'). But if recent PLEASE let me know?

I sence that the new National Credit Act and civil procedure in South Africa is a bit more kinder to the small fish debtors without means in that they will no longer be faced with imprisonment, from which they can only be rescued by family or friends. Further, creditors will no longer be able to extend credit on the basis that the debt can be exacted through fear of imprisonment. Credit should be extended only to those who can pay, are creditworthy, provide proper security etc. I always thought it was like TV law shows like Law and Order (but that was criminal law luckily).

You are right: its never a good idea to use personal assests as surety for a business. I should have read more business books and join forums like this earlier.